Suggestions for a fly tying light

I found a Michaels flyer in my news paper, it was for 40% off.I went over a found a nice light,very reasonable with the coupon.I also got a magnifier that fastens to the base.The magnifier part was great,but it clamped on the base with a plastic bracket. I almost broke it putting it on.I am taking that back and keeping the light.I will look around for a magnifier. Thanks again for all the input.

Has anyone use those McKenzie lights that mount on your vise shaft? J Stockard has the bright light on sale for $90. Just curious as to what everyone thought of them because I've seen a lot of guys using them at the tying shows.

At the lancaster show I asked the people that had them about them and besides being nice and bright convenience of travel was the biggie.

For traveling I just got a little gooseneck LED desk light from Target or somewhere similar. However, the LED light is a little bluish and a daylight lamp is easier on my eyes. I can tie flies under LED light, but for some reason need daylight to wrap rods.

Magnification depends on your eyes. Never needed it when I was young; now I do. I prefer just getting higher power reading glasses. Others prefer the magnifier. It's a personal choice.

All this talk of lamps made me jealous. I went to Michaels today and got the $100 Ott light with a 40% coupon for $60. I'm gonna test it out tonight and l'll let everyone know what I think.

Follow up....it's badass. A little big and awkward but amazing for tiny flies.

Still more then a desk lamp. Oh well!

The bulb from a desk lamp can't hold a candle (pun intended) to one of these things IMO. It's definitely true light and allows you to see every single detail and color like it was in the bright sunlight.

One thing's for sure, a good light makes all the difference in the world at the vise. Really it's a shame good ones cost so much because alot of people that will not pay it will never know. And if and when they do they would wonder why they waited so long to do it.

I got an Ott at Michaels as well with 40% off.

Bought an Ottlite at Michaels. $100 Ottlite with a 40% coupon for $60. Problem is that no hardware was included and I can't attach the base to the light itself. I've emailed the company and waiting for a reply. Looks like a bolt or screw used to attach the base to the light is missing. Anyone else run into this problem? Thanks

Ott are on sale at Michaels now for 40% off.

Back