Suggesting a new "Members Only Stream Reports" section

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

After reading through and commenting on the recent topic concerning posting about wild trout streams I agree with Afish on having a private stream reports section. I believe members hesitate to post about certain streams due being uncertain of who is viewing the content of this website.

After all, the OT forum is private and if you aren't a member you wouldn't know it existed, because it isn't in the forum if you aren't signed in as a member, so lurkers on the site wouldn't even know they were missing out.

This would allow us to post about popular streams in the regular forum and reserve some that we would otherwise not post about for the "Members Only Stream Reports".

I will would certainly feel more secure about posting certain streams that I currently do not post about.

So come on people, please chime in and let us know what your stance is.

Let us know, what do you think about including a Members Only Stream Reports ?

It's been discussed before, but the logistics don't make any sense.

It's as simple as making an account to see the reports, so people would just do that.

I would imagine we would get a spike in new registrants once the word got out, but few new posters.

Also, consider that dave doesn't necessarily run this site as a service to us. It is a website, and they are in the business of generating traffic.

Yeah, I know it is a an advertising machine, this place we call Paflyfish but remember just like the OT Forum we could have the section cloaked and non existant to non members. Most would not know it even exists.

It would give comfort to actual members who are the ones who see the ads on the site the most anyway. I am trying to butter it up but come on it is the only topic that is missing and needed Jay.

Don't try to squash me Jay, not today.

I am not trying to squash you. You asked for opinions and I gave mine. Why on earth would you try to spin it into a personal issue?

It's a bad idea that gives no benefit, and has been discussed at least twice before. People would simply have to register to see it. Lurkers read the OT forum too. We have all seen it.

Well that was what I hoping for, it wasn't 30 seconds and you had already posted in disagreement, how do expect me to feel other than squashed.

Thanks Jay,

A Little Bug, lol

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
Well that was what I hoping for, it wasn't 30 seconds and you had already posted in disagreement, how do expect me to feel other than squashed.

Thanks Jay,

A Little Bug, lol

Bad timing then, I guess... :-/

I don't mean to put your idea down, but I just don't see the benefit. It's not personal.

I think it has been brought up once a year for a while now. Would you feel comfortable posting your rainbow stream when all someone had to do was register to see it? I wouldn't.

Oh, I still wouldn't post that stream. I have pm'd about it to others who also know of it. But no I still would be selective even if somewhat less selective.

I'm against. I think if a stream is that precious to you, don't post it. Simple solution and no one has to left a finger, including yourself, to impliment it.

Yes vote here.

If the topic could only be read by regular posters that have (pick a number)...say 500 posts, than you can be pretty sure that you know very well who these guys are. I find it pretty far-fetched that someone would register and post 500 times to gain access to the topic.

In the mean time, a PM to fellow members with info will have to suffice.

500 Posts would make sense... but I still would prefer to have control over the information.

Yeah Afish, based on how much I learn about the members on this site it is safe to say that if someone like yourself asked me info on a stream I would give it out no problem I'm not selfish, just careful. It is a trust thing I have an idea of who are commited conservationalists on here or at least you can be a fair judge by reading post after post week after week and come to a conclusion about a person's fishing ethics. I do feel that no bait chucker is going to post 500+ times on a forum backing a sport that they don't share an interest in. It took me well over a year to post that many times.

You may or may not realize that there actually is a whole other layer of info exchanged on this site. I would advise any member that has been here for quite a while not to be shy about asking for info via PM from a fellow member that you "know" from the site. Especially if that member fishes a certain area or has great expertise in some phase of FF you are interested in. I both receive and send a lot of PMs on this site. PMs, aka Private Messages are............private. ;-)

Yeah , we could call it the Spring Hill Club section , Folks selfishness and greed will get you selfishness and greed , we can even appoint a special overseer and nickname them the "BEAVE"

LOL!!! love it osprey

i like it the way it is..as afish said just pm a fellow member

I didn't go through all i did and aquire the knowledge i did (all the hard way) not to be free to pass it on to whoever i choose , also i don't charge anything but a thank you............maybe a beer.

I'm in favor. I'm in favor of a minimum post count as well.

500 is a little steep. You don't want to exclude large #'s of people, just enough that we have an idea of who they are. I was thinkin more like 50 posts.

If there were an open reports forum, and one with a post limit, I can say that beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would not post more reports. Any report I did post would be in the restricted area. I would expect that once one gets access to the restricted area, they would be done with open reports as well.

Now that this topic has been dragged around I agree with you JayL, thought I would see what kind of a fuss I could generate I guess, not really, just an innocent question that got lots of different oppinions.

We can't express our dissatisfaction about situations that exist , like the situation with the Spring Hill Club , and then turn around and do the same thing here by creating a "Members Only" scenario around anything. I feel we've got the upperhand if we continue to promote and encourage the free exchange of information , education , etc. If we do anything with a sign on it that says "Members only" it makes us look like hypocrits.

Back