Studs from other wading boots

F

fisherboy3

have those silver label bootfoot ecotrax from orvis, and was wondering since i can unscrew those studs from my boots, is it possible to put studs from simms boots on?or do the screws only fit for simms boots only?-tight lines, fisherboy

I put the Simms Hardbite Studs in my White River boots and they're great. They look like they have maybe a self tapping sheet metal style thread to them, so use that to your best judgement.

Push come to shove, you should be able to use them on your boots. You might not be able to use the same hole, but you can just drive them into a new spot no problem.

thanks wsender, i have some tungsten carbide studs, but i wanna buy those alumnibite ones from simms

I use the Orvis PosiGrip studs in Simms boots with no problem.

Aluminum machine screws with square heads-

fisherboy3 wrote:
thanks wsender, i have some tungsten carbide studs, but i wanna buy those alumnibite ones from simms

That is crazy imo. Those things are going to wear out in no time and they are $30! Also, with those it's not just the ability to accept a screw but the ability of the cleat to fit into the tread pattern of the boot. I doubt the Orvis will have the same tread pattern.

Edit: Not same tread pattern as Simms but it looks like they would fit in there if you were so inclined.

pete41 wrote:
Aluminum machine screws with square heads-

Dear Pete,

This is the correct answer. You can buy a half-pound of them and a nutdriver to install them for less than $ 10.00.

Just take your wading shoes to the hardware store and hold the screws up alongside the outer edge of the bootsole to make sure the screw won't penetrate into the bottom of your wading boots and destroy your waders.

Tungsten carbide sounds good if you are cutting something hard but many of the new "high tech" studs are too freaking hard to grip rocks. When people complain about studded boots slipping on rocks, and especially dry rocks, invariably the problem is the stud is 10 times harder than the rock. You could be twice as fat as me and your boots still won't grip because the studs are far harder than the rocks.

Aluminum sheet metal screws eliminate that problem because the aluminum is highly malleable and will conform to a rock. They wear much faster of course, but that is because they are actually gripping the rocks!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

but they won't say orvis or simms on them!! I won't be able to catch any fish if it doesn't say orvis or simms!!! the fish will KNOW I cheaped out and went to the hardware store!
ok, I'm done, time for another beer! happy friday!

LOL bikerfish. i just said simms because their the only ones with a stud with that design, always wondered if they worked or not.

Back