Studded Felt Wading Boots

bigjohn58

bigjohn58

I NEED to get a new pair of studded felt wading boots. My Orvis Clearwater studded felts are just about shot (boot is tearing from the sole). I've loved these boots and have owned 3 or so pairs. They seem to hold up well and the 1 pair that didn't I was able to return for a new pair. This style however is no longer produced so I need a new option. I definitely want the studded felts and I'm kind of liery about buying felt sole boots and adding the screw in studs. I need something that is going to hold up! I always got less then a year out of a pair of boots except for the Orvis Clearwaters and even one pair of those got less then a year but with the nice return policy it worked out. I see orvis has the Henry Forks but they got poor reviews I saw. They seem to not hold up and just looking at the style and the way its made I can see that may be a problem with me also. Seems like the more materials used and the more stitching the greater the chances of something failing and tearing. Any suggestions on a good pair of boots?

i have a pair of the orvis river guard boots and love them...i would either take the boots back or call orvis and let them know that they r falling apart and im sure they will let u upgrade

You believe they would allow me to return and upgrade the boots I have? I've had them for several years now but it is actually the boot fabric pealing from the sole.

I never saw where to click up top for the felt sole boots on the Orvis page. I guess I have some options now and I see Orvis sells studs to add to their felt soles. I am just curious how well they will hold up with the studs added. I just like their warranty which they stand by pretty well. Steve at Flyfishers Paradise has always treated me well.

before i got those boots i had a pair of the ultra lights that dry cracked at the front...told ovris they told me to take it back to the shop i got them at and i up graded those for like $40..its worth a shot

Would definitely try to return the and upgrade. I'm an Orvis guy primarily because they have always taken care of things without hesitation. Just checked their website and felt soled options are not what they once were. Suspect this is due to the rush to rubber soles. I have two pair of Orvis' River Guard Easy-On Brogues. One pair is felt and the other is rubber. Both have studs and are the easily best boots I've ever owned. Easy on and easy off and great support.

Have you considered rubber soles. I've been very pleased with the traction. Went for a swim twice on Penns last weekend, but it was due to my clumsiness, not a lack of traction.

I have a pair of LL Bean studded rubber soles for fishing in the winter time. They are ok but I still perfer the felt and studs but I have learned felt and below freezing temps and snow don't mix well!

And I'm not overly concerned about invasive species which is why the felts are disappearing. I basically fish just a few central/north central PA streams.

Have u thought about korkers, u could always change the soles out to what u wanted

I'm just sketchy on Korkers. I can't see the soles on Korkers staying on or holding up to what I would put them through. They might but I honestly just don't trust them. Like this last weekend I probably put 4 or so miles on my boots and around 12 hours of water soaking.

Yea I know what u mean I probably walked 7 miles last weekend...2 of the guys that I fish with just got a pair of korkers, the soles seem to be in there pretty good...but I would for sure talk to orvis first

My new korkers chrome will be here Monday and i got both felt and rubber studs. I will give you a report!

FYI you might want to checkout orvis's website. Under the closeout fly fishing section there are some good deals on wading boots and if you sign up to the email list you get another $10 off. I just bought my first pair of studded rubber boots for fishing maryland-the closeout riverguard clearwater II.

Back