Stubby fins on wild trout

W

Wmass

I was fishing this past summer at a spot (not in PA) that has wild browns, brookies, and landlocked salmon with stocked rainbows. I caught a brown about 14-16" and when I was releasing him I noticed that the anal fins were stubby and degraded and one of its pectoral fins was also in the same condition. I was always under the impression that this was a problem with only stocked fish due to the conditions they were raised in. I know for a fact that this was a wild fish because there is no stocking of browns in the state I was fishing.

What could cause this in a wild fish?

Low Water?...you walk far enough, you'll wear out your shoes.

Also you can never be sure someone didn't decide to stock browns caught on other waters.Birds also can transfer eggs.Seen it done in ponds many times.

pete41 wrote:
Also you can never be sure someone didn't decide to stock browns caught on other waters.

That's my theory too. I've caught loads of stocked trout in PA on streams that are not on the stocking list. People buy trout from private hatcheries and throw them everywhere.

>>That's my theory too.>>

Me too..

In fact, I'll bet every wild brook trout over 5" I ever caught out of Oil Creek as well as every wild rainbow I caught out of the Big Fill between 1985 and 1995 that this is what it is...:)

Although I suppose if the circumstances were exactly right, a wild fish could have become caught/wedged between 2 rocks in low flows and ground his fins down. But for the most part, that's out there in pink unicorn land, IMO

its possible it was a mistake stocker. ive seen stocked brook trout in streams that receive browns and bows. sometimes a refugee makes it into the bucket :-D

It could also be a result of spawning. The size of the fish suggests that this could be a fish of several years age that might have a few years of wear and tear from working redds and fighting. It is a myth that wild trout always have flawless fins. I have caught many wild browns in Letort and wild browns and rainbows in upper Falling Springs that have fleshy or worn down tails and fins - esp older fish that are over about 15" in length.

After an extended period of low water, especially when spawn is in, my guess is that fish get a little chompy for good lies and spawning ground.

This happens to dolphins too!
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2006-09-15-dolphin-tail_x.htm

My opinion based on years of fishing for wild trout and being involved in several stream surveys is, these were formerly stocked trout put in the stream by a bucket biologist. I'd take a guess it was Vermont since I think it's the only state in the NE that doesn't stock browns, at least they didn't. That means the trout came from a private hatchery, something that is very common everwhere.

Back