Strpping Basket

G

gungagalunga

I am in the market for a stripping basket for saltwater wading purposes. There are multiple options with open or closed bottoms, bin style with prongs or open style with prongs, mesh collapsible baskets, etc.

Have you tried mutliple styles? What were the pros and cons? Do you prefer one over the other? Do you have a used one you want to sell?

If your in the surf, you will definitely want to be able to drain.

I have one that has a full bottom but I drilled hole on each sidewall that I have plugs for if want to keep dry.

I have this LLBean basket. I had to drill holes too. Honestly, my favorite feature is the rod grooves. Just a handy and secure place to lay the rod when retying. I have actually seen some homemade dish pan ones that looked awesome.

All my saltwater fly fishing buddies use the homemade dishpan ones - they disparage the bought ones since they like to customize them to their own tastes, but maybe they are just ornery. They use heavy mono for weed whackers for the loops inside the pan to keep the fly line loops from tangling.

BTW, my saltwater friends are in love with their stripping baskets and use them in freshwater streamer fishing as well.

I have an Orvis basket for over 20 years drain holes are a plus up.

tried them all over 50 years swear by my orvis one

Back