stripping glove

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I've gotten line burn one too many times.

What are you guys using?

Dear ryguyfi,

Just go to the drugstore and get a roll of Coban first aid tape.

http://www.nexcare.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NANexcare/Nexcare/Products/?PC_7_RJH9U5230G8BD0IUC4S6IE3O33000000_nid=R2L39QJ8L8gs0GMR7RRQNHglV11021XSMKbl

Most of the chains offer their own generic version and it works just as well. Just wrap your fingers and go, the stuff will not fall off under any circumstances, it was invented to be used as a bandage for animal wounds.

If you are into such things it comes in all sorts of "cool" colors too.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

You get a callous after a while. Rowing helps with that.

and infected fingers from the big browns- very toothy.lol

never needed one, have had sailfish and tuna run the line through my fingers. need to toughen up the finger pads..

I dont know, if you use sharkskin it can easily rape your fingers. I had a carp burn my left index finger last year on his initial run. Its not something that would justify me wearing a glove over though. I would go with the tape.

stripping guards work great! It is not a full glove but a small spandex type tube that slides over your finger. I have been using them for years!

Pittflyguy wrote:
stripping guards work great! It is not a full glove but a small spandex type tube that slides over your finger. I have been using them for years!

That's pretty much what I was looking for but couldn't figure out what they were called.

Bought some tape to try out this weekend on the private pond I'm fishing. Probably get some guards for my salmon trip in the fall.

Thanks!

I use them out at Pyramid lake since the water is very alkaline and does a number on fingers when stripping in flies all day.

The two approaches out there are wrapping PVC electrical tape around the wear areas or for one finger cutting off the finger from a used pair of leather work gloves.

I've never had an issue with salmon or steelhead. Get a good reel and let the drag do all the work. Holding the line when a good fish takes off is a common cause of popping the hook.

Maybe I am ignorant, but I always hold the line(applying the slightest amount of tension to it) until the fish has taken the slack line from my feet and got itself on the reel. If a fish isnt capable of great runs to strip 10-20' of line from me, then I usually keep the pressure on with my rod hand and quickly get the fish on the reel. This happens frequently with smallies. I would think if I had 10'+ at my feet and I simply let go of the line when I hooked a carp, steelhead, bass, trout, whatever, that the resulting slack would let the fish spit my hook easily. Have I created my own myth here?

I never had a problem with line burn. But I try to wet my hands every once in a while between casts.

And as far as line at my feet goes the only time line at my feet is really a problem for me is when ya have 60ft of sinking line at your feet and a bite right at your rod tip. But thats a problem I wish I had every outing.

In many situations I always have a bunch of line out of my reel. If I just "let go" then there's a loss of tension and a good way to lose a fish IMO. So I typically apply a bit of pressure and hence the line burn. The worst is when a strip strike is combined with a running fish.

Actually... my worst trip for line burn was my trip to the Salmon River last year. I had some of the best 10lb fluro tippet ever and could not get my knot to clinch. I cut my fingers several times a day. Technically wasn't even line burn, but similar.

I always have a roll in my truck so I use duct tape around the finger when using my sharkskin for SMB & carp or when stripping streamers in the salt on heavier weight rods.

Back