Striper fishing

dc410

dc410

Some of my college buddies and I took a trip to the Cape flyfishing for Stripers in the summer of 2014. We are just setting the plans for a return trip to Cape Cod this June. Two years ago was my first saltwater flyfishing experience. We didn't kill 'em but we caught a fair amount of fish and a few decent size ones. I learned a ton about flyfishing the surf and the importance of the ocean currents and locating the baitfish. I'm really looking forward to this trip to try to put to work all the things I learned two years ago and learn even more new stuff. Also looking forward to getting out my big stainless saltwater hooks, assorted bucktails and Krystal flash and pumping out some Striper flies.

A great time to look forward to.

Much awaited trips to the ocean often produce a run-up of intense fly tying on my part and these sessions can produce some neat ideas for salt patterns like eels or crabs (or at least great ideas in my own mind).

Anyway, the tying before the trip really adds to the anticipation and helps us central PA fresh water folks get our minds around broader fly tying concepts. Good luck with the trip.

Cool John, I have done a lot of striper fishing on Martha's Vineyard.
We should talk. I have some interesting patterns.

GenCon

Thanks, Dave!

Yeah Mike. I would like to pick your brain on some of your proven patterns. I was going to tie up some Ray's flies, Clousers, Deceivers and some Sand Eel patterns, but always looking for something a bit different.

small squid patterns to, Chatham is a great place to sight fish for them

Attachments

• cape cod squid 2.jpg
    cape cod squid 2.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 2
Read the book "Striper Moon" for some great tips.

Thanks, sandfly. That's a good looking squid fly. I'll definitely tie some of them up. Two years ago while doing some night fishing we were snagging some good size squid with our Clousers.

AFISHN, Thanks for the tip on the book. I'll check it out.

Back