Striper bible

Fredrick

Fredrick

Fly fishing for striped Bass Rich Murphy .I just happen to get a free copy of this book from a fellow club member last week and all I have to say is WOW . This by far has more info about fly fishing for stripers than any book out there this book covers just about everything with beautiful pictures, illustrations and original fly pasterns I give it a A+++.

http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Fishing-Striped-Bass-Masters/dp/097464272X

I have the book as well and agree that it is truly a Striper fisherman's Bible. I had the opportunity to spend some time with Rich at the Somerset show 2 years ago and he is truly someone who loves to teach what he knows. He can talk your ear off but it would pay anyone willing to listen, big dividends. I love the story in his book where he gets bumped by a shark in the middle of the night, fishing alone, it gives me goosebumps.

Jeff

I was weaned on Tabory's Inshore book. I'll have to check this one out!
Thanks for posting!

I've already asked Santa for this book for X-mas. :-D

Any striper fishing that I'd do would be wading in the Delaware. Which book do you think would cover my needs, Murphy's or Tabory's?

There have been plenty of times I've caught 7" to 14" stripers while fishing for smallies, but once I landed a 20"er, and that sorta whet my appetite. I'd love to catch a hog or two during the spring run.

John

Neither book will help you on the "D", they are about the salt, though some of the flies still work river fish are a different creature. Some will argue that point but after chasin them on the "D"and salt for over 30 years there is a difference.

sandfly wrote:
Neither book will help you on the "D", they are about the salt, though some of the flies still work river fish are a different creature. Some will argue that point but after chasin them on the "D"and salt for over 30 years there is a difference.

Thanks, SF. That's the exact reason I asked.

John

I agree with Sandfly. While excellent books, Tabory and Murphy are mainly talking about fishing Atlantic beaches. I'm not aware of any books written for the striper fly fisherman seeking to fish well up into large tidal rivers. There may be some good books that cover fishing these rivers that have chapters on striped bass. Weamer's book on the DE river mentions stripers briefly.

I have fly rodding the coast, and fly rodding estuaries which deal, somewhat, with more of the backwater stuff.

There may be some applicable knowledge, but while one touches on up river stuff, its not really the focus of the books.

Fishidiot wrote:
I've already asked Santa for this book for X-mas. :-D

So did Santa deliver Dave ?

I particularly like the flies section I think I'm going to tie up some of his patterns for this spring but I'm not going to go out and get some polar bear which he uses in alot of flies I will probably sub it with yak hair .

Fred,
Birthday is right around the corner - hope springs eternal. :)

I spent some time chatting up Rich at the Somerset show some years ago and he is indeed an innovative tier with some very cool stuff. He had some interesting crab flies. I've spent a good bit of time over the years experimenting with crab flies and found his versions unique and different than mine. One fish I've never caught on a fly is a tautog ("blackfish") although I've tried. He's caught some and that has encouraged me to keep trying to catch a tog.

I had signed this book out from the library and didn't have enough time to digest it all, imagine that, so yesterday at the Somerset Show I splurged and bought my own copy. Can't wait to get into this. Would anyone be willing to do a "beginner's day on the beach" to show some newbies around the saltwater world?

Back