Strike Indicators

Just ditch the indicator altogether and learn to do without. I'm sure that in no time and with just a bit of practice you'll be fishing nymphs just as successfully without them.

Wildbrowntrout wrote:
I've had situations where the stockers try to take the indicator and then still take the fly afterwards. Wonder what your hooksets look like... Do you knock the fish out with the indicator Pennkev?

Not sure what your getting at now. Are you expecting fish to not be spooked when you try to snag them after they hit the Indicator or..... ......what? Are you expecting that to be typical?

If you think a fish coming back and hitting your fly soon after a strange encounter with an indicator is normal.... ...give the stockies a rest.

Wildbrowntrout wrote:
Although, I do like the idea of clear indicators!

A clear, nearly invisible indicator? Hmmm...

No, I'm talking about native brook trout and wild browns, PennKev. You're telling me every time you fish, you've never had a fish not spook at the indicator? The trout I'm going for are spooky, but not if you pull a 1/2" floating ball, OUT of the water. They only spook when it hits. I have caught my fair share of stockers, and I'm sure you have to, but I don't know how you spook every fish that hits the indicator...

It's clear neither of us understands what the other is trying to say.

Back