Strike Indicators

I like using yarn indicators. They work easy to rig and they don't spook fish. I've been making my own with polypropylene rope and "o" rings I found you can purchase the small "o" rings on eBay.

I started using Corqs last season. I didnt see them mentioned here. They are made of cork and have a small rubber loop on them to attach to your leader, ive found they are pretty easily adjustable. They come in many different colors also. I usually use the small ones and they dont seem to splash down too hard. Also they are made in America which is a plus. When fishing for spookier fish though I do use the New Zealand indicators.

I normally use a #10 Adams as a dry fly indicator. It makes less noise when it touches down on the water. And it's something I can see at a fair distance.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
I normally use a #10 Adams as a dry fly indicator. It makes less noise when it touches down on the water. And it's something I can see at a fair distance.

I'm all for dry dropper but it's a pain to adjust depth and speed with a dry fly indicator. Either your nymph will drag too fast or your dry drag too slow. There are more efficient ways for strike detection when nymphing imo. That being said hopper dropper during the summer time is just awesome.

Most of the stuff I fish is probably around 2-3' deep. So placing a nymph that distance from the dry fly works. With that said....I will remove the dry fly when the water is way deeper. Also I'll keep a tight line for the most part. Most of the time I can see the strike and am able to set the hook.

I used to be a thingamabobber guy. But now I try to high stick as much as possible without an indicator. I believe my hook % has gone up too.

If I use an indicator, it is a big black cricket with a visible hot spot. I catch a fish occasionally on the cricket too.

I do use a thingamabobber when steelhead fishing tho.

I think I have tried them all. I'll add another vote for the New Zealand as my favorite - no knots or leader kinks, easily adjustable and very light. I actually just bought the tubing as I already had some strike indicator yarn and I realized the installation tool looked suspiciously like a "knit-picker" I had seen in my wife's seldom used sewing kit (she never missed it). You have to experiment a little to get the right amount of yarn, but once you figure that out they work great.

No indicator made (so far atleast) can control and detect as well as the rod tip. It takes practice, skill and touch but it's worth it. That being said it's not always an option, the need for different size and strength indicators differs greatly from river to river or spot to spot. You can never have too many options with indicators imo.

I normally use Float Masters. They can be adjusted without removing and they do not kink leaders.

+1 for the air lock. But I also like the NZ indicator. I will use the foam pinch on indicators when fishing midges.

I'm kinda curious. You guys talk about strike indicators.. but then most are talking about thing that are large,harder to cast, and can spook fish. They also literally float the fly..

Strike detection is what I was alwasys concerned with. Instead of trying to see a strike while watching just your leader.

So for me that means a couple bb size balls on my leader (Orvis strike putty) so I can detect a strike or take. And I can keep using the stuff over and over.
Or a section of brighter colored leader tied In With my leader formula.

Or like piece of plastic tube like the ffp shop recommends. Why those big bobber things? Most of that stuff looks very annoying to use

Redfin wrote:
I'm kinda curious. You guys talk about strike indicators.. but then most are talking about thing that are large,harder to cast, and can spook fish. They also literally float the fly..

Strike detection is what I was alwasys concerned with. Instead of trying to see a strike while watching just your leader.

So for me that means a couple bb size balls on my leader (Orvis strike putty) so I can detect a strike or take. And I can keep using the stuff over and over.
Or a section of brighter colored leader tied In With my leader formula.

Or like piece of plastic tube like the ffp shop recommends. Why those big bobber things? Most of that stuff looks very annoying to use

Yes, sometimes you need an indicator to float the fly. Here's the most common situation for me, I have a deep run(6 feet deep) that is moving at a moderate pace. I can't get closer than 25 feet from the meat of the run. I need alot of weight to get down quickly, a sighter will go under immediately, as would nz indicator. I need something to literally float the weight through the run.

As for you using weight to detect a strike I'm a little confused. If your weight is above your fly it's actually preventing strike detection. When you use weight you are no longer in touch with the fly, your feeling the weight. A fish could grab your fly and there would be no sign of it before it was spit out. The weights fuction is to slow down the drift and get it down in the water column quicker. The only time weight helps in strike detection is when you are drop shotting the weight below the fly.

Sorry I misunderstood you when you said bb sized balls I thought you were talking about shot.

That's okay.
I think when guys use indicators to nymph they use way to big of indicators and over complicate it.
Think visual sighters. Unless your are fishing really far off then I can see yarn n float type indicators being used.
Strike detection is all that is to be concerned

Forget the splash spooking, most of the time you throw above them and let it drift. The real question is:
If your using one of those big indicators, how many times drifting past them do you think it will take the trout to figure out that the big shadow above equates to danger?

New Zealand wool is what i use when i use an indicator. And they sell an extra large tubing for a larger chunk of wool. Works great.

I use the foam tear drop style ones with a slit and hold it to my line with a toothpick. I will not change from this style. I can easily adjust it up and down my line or take it off if I want to high stick. I have green and red line tied into my nymphing rig also for an indicator. It works for me so I have no desire to change or even experiment with other systems.

I use the New Zealand style with the two sizes of tubing. As mentioned before, there is very little splash. I also like that they are almost weightless, which makes casting easier. You are only dealing with the weight of split shot and fly rather than the weight of your indicator. with smaller flies casting feels almost like dry fly fishing. The other advantage is customizing the size of your indicator. You can throw a zebra midge under an ultra tiny indicator. It's a lot of fun in low and clear (spooky) conditions. Once you get used to using wool, a thingamabobber feels like tossing a brick into the water!

Back