Strike Indicators

JVenezia

JVenezia

What is the preferred type and method?
Was looking at a assortment of thingambobbers.

I'm ordering this ... supposedly doesn't move or kink up ur indicator like a thingambobber

Oh and i currently switch btwn thingambobber, yarn and stick-ons ..... all have positives and negatives

I prefer the Lightning Strike indicators. Football shaped with a slot with elastic band in them. Slide up and down the leader.

Might try a thingamabobber this year. Also trying to use indicators less.

Only one I can't keep from sliding around is the foam and toothpick indicators. Tried others but keep going back. Easiest to adjust quickly IMO and as long as it's not too snug it's not kinking my leaders.

I use the foam with tooth pick as my go to. However, if I have already tied on my flies I will use a poly yarn. I also have sticky foam ones that I cut out of a sheet of sticky backed foam.

Of course in the middle of summer, a bushy dry fly is probably the best option.

There's not one type that works all the time. I like thingamabobbers in high/fast/deep water, yarn indicators for a more delicate presentation, and stick ons occasionally. I prefer the thingamabobbers with the little stopper. When it's warm and the water is lower I also tend to use a dry fly.

Here is a quick summary of strike indicators that I have see:
1) Thingambobbers
2) Yarn indicators that you tie on
3) Folder yarn though a rubber loop
4) Sticky pads
5) Cylindrical rubber twists
6) Football shaped "fish pimps". Use a small rubber hose to lock the line in the slit of the football shape grove.
7) Latex balloons. Yes, I fished with a guide who purchased bunches at a store. Can make them any size and they are bio-degrable.
8) The twist on as shown in this thread
9) Strike puddy
10) New Zealand wool

I'm sure I forgot one.

They all seem to have there pros and cons.
Numbers 1, 9 and 10 I use most
I have never tried 2 or 7 but I plan to buy some balloons.
Number 6 Fish Pimps I will NEVER buy a gain. Years ago they were good now they are made with material that easily breaks.
Number 10 is the best if you want just a hint of an indicator.

Hope this helps.

MD GENE
Where did you find the twist on (airlocks)? I can't find them anywhere.....

Most of the above listed are suspension type indicators that many guys joke are bobbers. They do have their place.
There are some indicators that do not suspend, such as strike putty(unless used very heavily) and colored mono or colored leader sections.
I guess the answer for the original OP would be, what is your goal? Most guys I know carry a variety to cover whatever conditions are presented.
Get a small variety and learn to use them all. Pick a few favorites.

J caddis fly shop . com has them

And I thought I was the only one using latex balloons. Thanks Gene

I forgot that I always have a built in indicator on my leader too.

Orvis sells the thingamabombers with a jam stop or peg attached. Those are the ones I use mostly in th 1/2" size

I use two kinds of strike indicators. The first is the Thingamabobber. They seem to work the best for me and I have tried many different brands in the past. The other is a hi-viz sighter that I tie into my leaders when I build them. This is my favorite.

I'm a convert, I will now use a thingamabobber when nymphing when appropriate.

i go with the foam stick ons (usually).

Like someone previously said, they each have their place. I personally carry a pack of foams at all times- but I do have a thingamabobber, and the football shaped rubber stopper type, which have come in handy in different situations...

Funny thing is, I've only ever bought the foam ones - the others I have found in trees and snags and resurrected haha.

I've used yarn / new zealand types before - I found they required more maintenance and attention than I am willing to give to my strike indicator. That being said, if I was fishing a particularly spooky stream with adequate backcast room, I'd probably find that I'd enjoy them. BUT They just soak up and sink fairly quickly if you are roll casting a lot in tight quarters, which sounds a lot like fishing to me :)

Ain't nobody got time for that.

I am interested in the New Zealand strike indicators. I would like any users to comment. If they tend to sink, would treating the wool with water shed prior to use or Gink on the stream, reduce the sinking issue?

I am a big fan of New Zealand indicators. I set them in place on my leader and apply a paste floatant to the wool prior to my first cast. Mucilin silicone and the Orvis paste floatant are the two I use - the Muculin is great and I prefer it over the Orvis - but if it is hot out it the Mucilin turns from a paste to a liquid (learned that the hard way this past summer...) so I used the Orvis in the summer. I just rub some paste on my fingers and then work it into the tuft of wool.

I have found that the indicator will float like a cork for hours with the floatant applied prior to use. If the wool becomes waterlogged I just dry it off in my sleeve. And at times I have had to reapply floatant.

The wool can alsosuspend a decent amount of weight too - I have had tandem rigs with a weighted fly and 3 split shots suspended easily with the NZ indicator where I have the same rigs unable to be handled with foam indicators.

The NZ indicator is easy to rig, (there are online tutorials that can help with tips) they FLOAT and they are reusable. And the biggest thing that I like about them is they barely splash when they hit the water - WAY smaller of a splash than a foam type indicator and NOWHERE near the splash made by an Airlock indicator or a Thingamabobber. Also, NZ indicators don't kink your leader.

The drawback that I have found is that they are nowhere near as fast to rig up as just about ANY other type of indicators. But, in my opinion the pros very much outweigh this con.

To address using Gink on NZ indicators, I have never tried it, but it might work... Also, I fish smaller freestone creeks. If the water levels are up and presentation is no so much of an issue, I revert to Airlock indicators. If they could make Airlock indicators that hit the water as softly as NZ indicators do, that would be the perfect indicator!

Hope this helps.

Back