Strike Indicators

I prefer in-line indicators, but in other instances where it's not practical, I use home-made yarn or the foam/toothpick ones.

jdaddy wrote:
wsender wrote:
The only thing I don't like about the thingamabobbers is that when you're using a lighter tippet, like 6x, they tend to slide around a bit, especially if you're casting a little bit. I wish they made the ring out of a soft rubber to give it some friction.

You spoke and they listened. Sort of.

Why can't I find a pic of the new design online? I am failing. It's in the Eastern Fly Fishing that just came out. They have pegs that go through the hole now to avoid slippage.

Nice to know. I was thinking about getting some of those small rubberbands that the orthodontists hand out and wrapping it around the ring area to prevent sliding, but hopefully this solves the problems. I'd love to see those photos, and the finished product.

I use the dry-dropper method. I definetly think it is better for use on heavily fished areas and spooky fish. Plus I have never caught a fish on the surface with the foam indicator, but sometimes they do take the dry ;-)

I cry foul! He asked about indicators, not Proper Flye Fyshing with an Angyle, which is obviously dry fly fishing. Making the occasional nod to the barely-refined baitfishing style nymphers by hanging a dropper off it isn't the same.

gfen, classically styled dude (your dudeness, duder, duderino if you're not into the brevity thing) of excellence.

I use these;

Attachments

• DSCN6398.JPG
    DSCN6398.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN6400.JPG
    DSCN6400.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 3
wsender wrote:
jdaddy wrote:
wsender wrote:
The only thing I don't like about the thingamabobbers is that when you're using a lighter tippet, like 6x, they tend to slide around a bit, especially if you're casting a little bit. I wish they made the ring out of a soft rubber to give it some friction.

You spoke and they listened. Sort of.

Why can't I find a pic of the new design online? I am failing. It's in the Eastern Fly Fishing that just came out. They have pegs that go through the hole now to avoid slippage.

Nice to know. I was thinking about getting some of those small rubberbands that the orthodontists hand out and wrapping it around the ring area to prevent sliding, but hopefully this solves the problems. I'd love to see those photos, and the finished product.

Not too mention that the metal rings eventually get squished and crack creating a sharp edge that will cut your leader unexpectedly. I've been popping the rings out of the thingamabobbers for all of my steelhead fishing since the combo of heavy tippet and large fish destroys the metal rings in short order. The only downside is that the leaders eventually cuts through the loop ruining the indicator, especially if the bobber is placed near the middle of the leader where the line is thinner.

Kev

Coiled Hi Viz Mono Strike Indicator works the best. No resistance and will not spook. Very sensitive.

I use yarn from the craft store.

Thingamabobbers....Wouldn't they decrease the strength of the leader just by attaching them?

all indicators shine in certain aspects and not so well in other aspects

Bought yarn for indicators, but they just don't seem to stay afloat with dry fly floatant. What should I use then?

I smear gink on everything I own.

fisherboy3 wrote:
Bought yarn for indicators, but they just don't seem to stay afloat with dry fly floatant. What should I use then?

Soak them in Camp-dry or Scotch Gaurd and allow them to dry fully. This will improve floatation greatl and make it easier to dry and re-apply floatant. Work swell on some dry flies too; wulffs, hair bugs, etc. It will slightly darken some materials though.

Kev

I used to use thingamabobbers but I did not like how they kinked my leader and I felt like I found it to be problematic since it is not in line. I switched to froghair or football with the elastic pull centers and I prefer them both.... personal preference when it is all said and done.... funny story though... I was having a tough day fishing and was working just to get the skunk off when a good sized bow came up and tried to eat my indicator.... no interest in my fly mind you!

Using a dry fly has to be the best strike indicator, it's better than having a bright yellow piece of yarn that can spook the fish and it gives you 2x the chance of catching a fish as your fishing 2 depths.

delfam wrote:
Using a dry fly has to be the best strike indicator, it's better than having a bright yellow piece of yarn that can spook the fish and it gives you 2x the chance of catching a fish as your fishing 2 depths.

Which dry fly is an effective indicator when dragging the bottom of a 4ft deep run with four #6 shot and two bead head nymphs?

Size 1/0 stimulator?

Kev

PennKev wrote:
Which dry fly is an effective indicator when dragging the bottom of a 4ft deep run with four #6 shot and two bead head nymphs?
Size 1/0 stimulator?
Kev

This here 5/0 Royal Wulff should do nicely. Sure, I tied it as a novelty, but I suppose some heroic trout could mistake it for the day and hummingbird hit the deck and made him a happy fish.

I would love to see a 5/0 Royal Wulff lol. Chumley has a 1/0 trico Mean Jean tied for him!

As for strike indictors thingamabobbers well pretty well I think.

Alpabuck wrote:
I would love to see a 5/0 Royal Wulff lol. Chumley has a 1/0 trico Mean Jean tied for him!

5201250757_e941406ff4_b.jpg

For comparison sake, the first one in the row below is a sz14 extended body, the last one I think is a sz8 3xl.

if the nymphs were a sz 20 with brass bds i would say a # 8 elk hair caddis should do the trick

Back