Streamworks Magnetic Fly box

L_soult

L_soult

I'm a minimalist by nature and I want to have only one fly box on the water. I have been carrying 12-18 flies at any given time. Right now I'm using a small spin-fish bait box. I'd like to buy (or build) a fly box that will suit my needs.

My original plan was to modify a Sucrets box or an "as seen on TV" aluminum wallet I got as a Father's Day gift to use as a fly box. This is waterproof and I'm thinking I would need to punch/drill ventilation holes so my files don't rust?

My local Ollie's Bargain Outlet store has a Streamworks magnetic fly box for $5. I saw Cabela's sells a very similar item for 3X the price. It has an approximately 3" x 4" magnetic pad.

I was wondering if any of you have tried magnetic boxes in the past. I'm a little concerned that the magnet may not be strong enough to keep my fly's from getting coming loose and falling in the water. Henceforth the reason for being at Ollie's.

L_soult

If that Streamworks box is the one I'm thinking of it is designed to be used as a place to store wet flies till they dry. Although it could be used as a fly box. As far as the magnet being strong enough have no fear. I use it to store my wet flies and have never lost a fly from it from falling off the magnet. I did however have an issue with the first one I bought though. I had about 2 dozen flies in it drying out and one time I opened it up and the magnet fell out with all my flies attached and dropped straight into the water and was GONE. I took it back to Bass Pro and Mr Clouser not only replaced the box he also told me to go over and pick out 2 dozen flies for free. He told me the company that makes the box had a bad run of boxes with faulty adhesive tape holding the magnet in so keep that in mind if you buy one. If had to choose only one box the Cliff Super Days Worth would be my first choice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 4
I have a couple okuma aluminum fly boxes and several of the SA watertight ones. I really like the okuma one with the spring-loaded compartments and the foam panel/metal clips on the other side. Im not crazy about foam-only fly boxes. I cant imagine sticking 30 size 20-22 midge larva in that foam and removing them etc. What a pain/waste of time.

reducing down to one tiny little box is harder than you think. once sulphurs come along, and then into summer, i can do a little mini folding box but prior to that its hard.

that said, the okuma (or whatever brand) plastic box with the spring compartments works well. glue some foal into the lid and you can store bigger crap in there.

save the little SW box for summer when you're easily down to 3 or 4 attractors in different sizes.

Thank you for your responses.

Thanks for the advice. My first choice was the Cliff Super Days Worth but I got a Cabalas gift card for xmas and used it to buy a Cabalas Large Flybox w/leaf. I like it

Here it is with my growing fly collection.

Attachments

• flybox.jpg
    flybox.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 2
That's a nice box. I think it's important that it's waterproof. Mine isn't.

FWIW - even though I fish only dries, I've never felt any need to have waterproof fly boxes. And I have fallen into streams more times than I care to admit. I just bounce back up out of the water as quickly as possible. And have never had my compartment style boxes fill with water to the point that the flies got saturated enough to not float.
And any moisture that they did take in, was rather quickly dried out by leaving them open the following night to air dry. Just saying.....

Seems to me that buoyancy is the one of the most important factors. Was fishing the LL with Daman1277 last month and we were standing on the bridge downstream of the fly shop looking into the water. I made a quick turn and both of the flyboxes in my vest popped out and of course, flew over the bridge. Must have been a pretty funny sight to see me scrambling down the bank and into the slippery, rocky, cold water trying to intercept the boxes before they went too far. Good thing they floated nice and high or I may not have been able to capture both.

Sounds like a good attribute to a fly box. I used to think .99 cents wasn't bad for a fly at the local shop until I found out how hard they are to keep (for me anyway).

I would be JACKED if I dropped my whole box in the water and it disappeared in the current.

After that story I may get a GPS tracker for it! ;-)

L_soult wrote:
I used to think .99 cents wasn't bad for a fly at the local shop
It's not. Other shops are typically more expensive. Jim's has saved my but more than once when I needed flies for the next day.

Back