Streams being considered for wild trout (and/or Class A)designation

M

Mike

Have you been keeping an eye on the list? Streams continue to be added at an accelerated pace, including some streams from 2015 surveys already.

What is accelerating the pace?

Where can you find the streams recently added to the list?

salmonoid wrote:

And more importantly, does this mean that they will maintain that accelerated pace through to official designation? There are streams listed that were surveyed in 2010(!) that haven't moved beyond step 1.

My local paper - the pittsburgh press - does a good job of reporting the latest news from the fish - and game - commissions. And always runs the current trout survey findings.
I do enjoy reading them, and am often surprised at some of the waters where they find wild trout.

On the other hand however - there is a small stream in the laurel highlands, that I got wind of years ago now. My brother-in-law bought a cabin very close to it, and he tipped me off about it having wild brookies. And I tried it once, and did pretty well there.
And the fish commission surveyed it recently, and added it to the WT list

interesting to see pond creek in luzerne, a trib to the amd-impacted sandy run, on the list. good that some trout can hang on above amd streams.

"Luzerne/ Pond Creek/ Sandy Run/ 7/2/2014 41.010080 -75.769670 4/9/2015 X"

sandy run mentioned here:
http://www.fishandboat.com/images/fisheries/afm/2006/5x10_23lehigh_tribs.htm

sandy run headwaters from google earth ....

Attachments

• sr2.jpg
    sr2.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 2
salmonoid wrote:

Partly, Marcellus Shale drilling.

Always enjoy watching new stream added to the list. Sucks they get "outed" like that but its good to see them getting the protection they deserve

Maybe these are the recent additions mentioned in the OP?

http://fishandboat.com/reg398.htm

Under NOTICES, you'll see a list of streams proposed for Class A and another proposed for the reproduction list.

And below each another notice saying that they were approved.

No, just type in: streams being considered
Do this in the search engine at the top right of the PFBC home page.

Mike wrote:

http://fishandboat.com/wild-trout-designations-step1.htm

Wow Mike!...you guys have been busy! Great to see.

(Our license dollars being put to good use... :))

afishinado wrote:
Mike wrote:

http://fishandboat.com/wild-trout-designations-step1.htm

Wow Mike!...you guys have been busy! Great to see.

(Our license dollars being put to good use... :))
Agreed! See? I'm not ALWAYS an obstructionist!

Streams in SE Pa that have shown great improvements in wild trout abundance over the years to the extent that they are now on that list for Class A consideration....Blymire, Laurel, Cacoosing, and Hosensack. On three of these four streams, the tips upon which we acted came from individuals whom I would identify as being reliable anglers.. Their info combined with what we already knew about the streams and their histories sounded reasonable and we reacted accordingly. One of those individuals is an avid fly angler and participates on this forum. The others fish with multiple gears.

do my eyes deceive me, or is the Little Lehigh now going to be Class A - does that mean no more stocking ?

Mike wrote:
Streams in SE Pa that have shown great improvements in wild trout abundance over the years to the extent that they are now on that list for Class A consideration....Blymire, Laurel, Cacoosing, and Hosensack. On three of these four streams, the tips upon which we acted came from individuals whom I would identify as being reliable anglers.. Their info combined with what we already knew about the streams and their histories sounded reasonable and we reacted accordingly. One of those individuals is an avid fly angler and participates on this forum. The others fish with multiple gears.

Great news, Mike!

While I realize each stream is unique; but in a general sense, to what would you attribute the increase in wild trout abundance in the SE and overall in the state?

also good to see some streams in acid rain areas on there... for example, two tribs to east branch fishing creek, just west of ricketts

Surprised to see a lot in the western counties that are newly listed.

Surprised to see a lot in the western counties that are newly listed.

Noticed that too. I think it's more to do with timing. It seemed like when the PFBC made this push, all that were coming up were eastern streams. Now there's lots of western ones joining. Perhaps the western PA surveyors were just a little slower on the draw....

mike, if you are out there... I assume more surveys have been done in recent years versus the past...

do you have any insight on whether the proposed additions are just never-before-surveyed streams?...

or are there some streams on the proposed additions list that were surveyed w/o trout in the past, with trout found in a recent re-survey?...

know its not your area, but would to know this about some of the many nepa ones

so is it just more surveying, or do we have more streams w/ trout?

thanks!

Back