Streamer Rods

I use a 9 ft 6 wt for everything works great.

George Daniel recommends longer rods in his streamer book. However, my style caters to shorter rod for the most part. Guess it depends on the size of the water. Big water, big rod, sure. However, if you're fishing smaller water with quicker runs a shorter rod will allow you to be a bit more surgical.

I'm really into ripping streamers in small seams in small streams, and my approach is like a Bass Fisherman in the respect that it's all about using the heaviest fly to get into the zone ASAP, but that involves tending to it the second it hits the water. 7'6" is my preferable size for this. A 5wt is probably the best for this, but if you can get away with a 4wt go for it. The Winston WT 476 is a very, very, very sweet rod for this approach.

DavidFin wrote:
George Daniel recommends longer rods in his streamer book. However, my style caters to shorter rod for the most part. Guess it depends on the size of the water. Big water, big rod, sure. However, if you're fishing smaller water with quicker runs a shorter rod will allow you to be a bit more surgical.

I'm really into ripping streamers in small seams in small streams, and my approach is like a Bass Fisherman in the respect that it's all about using the heaviest fly to get into the zone ASAP, but that involves tending to it the second it hits the water. 7'6" is my preferable size for this. A 5wt is probably the best for this, but if you can get away with a 4wt go for it. The Winston WT 476 is a very, very, very sweet rod for this approach.

I agree with George Daniel ^

I have plenty of shorter rods to choose from, but I choose to fish my 10' rod in all but the tiniest streams. I've fished longer and shorter rods on the same streams and find the longer rod makes casting, roll casting, mending and overall line control much better, even in smaller water.

Give it a try sometime.

jacob wrote:
What would be your ideal weight, length, and action for huckin' streamers?

Keep this to ALL AROUND freshwater, stillwater included. Basically if you could choose one multi species rod for trout, bass, carp, pickerel... Wade or Kayak to make things interesting and more applicable to my personal interests :lol:

Jacob if you want a jack of all trades I would go with a fast action
7 wt .

Back