Streamer Rods

jacob

jacob

What would be your ideal weight, length, and action for huckin' streamers?

Keep this to ALL AROUND freshwater, stillwater included. Basically if you could choose one multi species rod for trout, bass, carp, pickerel... Wade or Kayak to make things interesting and more applicable to my personal interests :lol:

You will probably get a variety of answers to this one. My favorite trout streamer stick is an 8 1/2 five weight, however when bigger situations arise I go up to my 9 foot 6.

I have three 9' 6 weights that I use when streamers are required. They include an older St. Croix "Premier", a Sage VT2 and a G. Loomis GL3. The G. Loomis is my favorite.

One "jack of all trades" streamer rod for everything freshwater...9' 7wt. Action is more of a personal preference type of thing, but I like pretty fast streamer rods. I like em' faster than I like my normal Trout rods anyway.

That being said, I don't own one. I don't fish much for Toothies or Carp, on purpose anyway, so my main streamer rod is also a 9' 6wt. But it's mainly used for big water Trout streams and Smallies. Even then, sometimes I think I want something heavier though.

9' 7wt if fishing med to large water. Size 4 and up weighted streamers.. 8-8.5' 6wt for smaller water size. Size 6 and down streamers. I fish moderate action rods, for a fast rod you might be able to drop a line weight. You can get by with lighter but for me it's much less work to use a heavier rod. I used a 906 for a while, picked up a 907 last year and it was like night and day. Would not go back to a 6 weight.

moon1284 wrote:
You can get by with lighter but for me it's much less work to use a heavier rod.

^This is the key IMO. The biggest stuff I attempt to throw with my 6wt is about size 6 or so...I may have a couple size 4 flies too, but most of what I throw are size 8 and 10's. With the heavier stuff, you're hustlin' the rod at that point and it just gets tiresome. I'm usually good and tired after a full day of Smallie fishing.

Good general advice I think is if you're debating between a couple of rod weights for streamer fishing, go with the heavier one. Comparatively, the heavier rod will handle a lighter fly better than the lighter rod will handle a heavier fly IMO...with less physical effort anyway. I've personally never found myself wishing I had a lighter rod when streamer fishing.

I appreciate all of the feedback - all if it is right on point what I was thinking.

I ended up buying a 906 medium fast, and I am pretty pumped to fish it this weekend. I currently fish a 763 moderate action 99% of the time, and I learned on my grandpops old glass 805 that I "retired" so I am looking forward to casting a completely different rod.

Since I fish mostly small streams to mid size creeks, my 76 3 weight has done just fine for most of my needs, and in those situations I am not throwing streamers a whole lot- (Funny enough though, I've fished smaller weighted streamers on the Lehigh with it... I know... it was the only rod I had with me that day) - I was only expecting to fish the po that trip so used it in a pinch and was surprised how well it handled given the situation.

That being said, I love tying streamers and swingin em, so I figured it was high time to get something tailored to huckin' some more weight, and still be applicable to almost all of the situations I will encounter in the near future without being overkill.

Again, I appreciate the feedback!

WildTigerTrout wrote:
I have three 9' 6 weights that I use when streamers are required. They include an older St. Croix "Premier", a Sage VT2 and a G. Loomis GL3. The G. Loomis is my favorite.

People may think its over kill BUT I use my G Loomis GL3 I built years ago for everything! Its a 9' 6wt. I don't care for it when throwing small dry flies BUT it is my all around rod. I can switch from nymphs to streamers so easily plus I am able to launch dry flies if need be. I believe its a moderate fast action. Its hard to find rods like that these days. Also I know I'm prepared for bigger fish too!

any 9' 6wt medium to fast rod will do

I have an Orvis T3 in 9' 7wt, a original Echo 9' 7wt saltwater model and a 9'6" 7wt Redington.....all streamer dedicated setups.

A sage z axis is one of the better "all around"rods. You will enjoy throwing streamers and little baetis drys equally. They pop up on ebay, the six wt more than the 5.

Get a 7wt so you can cast rabbit hair. 6wt wont cut it.

Huh ! 6 wt will cast rabbit, I even have a 5 wt. that will unless you are casting rabbit that is over 5" long

The trick is to not use the WHOLE rabbit.

I use a 6 wt for unweighted and medium weight streamers. Big weighted streamers do better with an 8 wt.

"The trick is to not use the WHOLE rabbit."

Awesome troutbert, you've got me dying of laughter over here. I've casted rabbit fur on my 3 wt. YIKES... But small ones, I promise!

Anyway - Update on the rod. I've used my new 6wt the past two saturdays on the Tully, and pulled out 4 bows (12"-14" range) huckin' weighted streamers.

I am very happy with it so far. It is the first rod I have had over 7'6" and I am absolutely pumped about how much line control I have- It has been the perfect rod for me to swing streamers thus far, and doesn't feel too (too) heavy.

I bought an Orvis Recon 9' 7 Wt for big articulated junk. It chucks them no problem. Real good rod for the money.

Im seeing more and more rods that are made for streamers that are very short 7/8 footers what do people think of those.

I can cast a small beadhead bugger pretty well with a 3 wt 7-1/2" rod.

Short rods are fine but you need to know how to double haul in order to get the distance you would get with a 9 footer. You lose mending ability which isn't a big deal if there isn't much current or if your using a full sinking line.

Shorter streamer rods are a more specialized tool than a 9' 7wt. It is easier to fight a fish and better for smaller water, but you give up a bit on casting distance (unless you have a very good double haul) and mending ability.

There is also personal preference involved.

Back