Streamer Rod

F

fisherboy3

Since I've been tying more and more streamers, its time to make a decent streamer rod purchase. What do you guys like? Ive been lookig into a 9'6 6 weight to throw big articulated streamers with heavy tungsten heads to get down to the fish. What would be a good suggestion and under 500$? Thanks guys,

Kev

Kev,
If you're throwing big junk or fast sink tip, I'd favor the 7 weight. Here's some ideas

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAGE-MODEL-790-4-RPL-GRAPHITE-III-9-0-LINE-7-FISHING-ROD-FLY-4-piece-/182101274244?hash=item2a6614ee84:g:WvwAAOSw-YBXGPOn

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orvis-Recon-7wt-100-4pc-Fly-Fishing-Rod-FREE-SHIPPING-/322080883493?hash=item4afd844325:g:mwwAAOSwgk1XFrPw

Kray, im gonna have to look into that recon. Ive heard very good things about it. What reel would you match it up with? I would assume something with top notch drag system, because some fish you catch on streamers will give you a run for your money.

You assumed wrong. Lol. You can put a top notch reel on but don't really need it. I'd say get a disc drag reel with large arbor and extra spool. Get a 1-2 IPS sink tip line and a 5-7 IPS sink tip. Weight isn't a factor as the rig will be heavy no matter what you do. A heavy reel may make the swingweight more bearable. Just my 0.02

I agree with the notion of going with a 7wt. You'll be less fatigued at the end of the day but you'll also open up the size options of your flies. I haven't fished it yet, but the Recon that I cast felt like it would be a good option. If you're looking for a package deal, Orvis' new Hydros SL reel seemed like a pretty solid reel when I played with it. I wouldn't be worried about the functionality of either.

krayfish2 wrote:
You assumed wrong. Lol. You can put a top notch reel on but don't really need it. I'd say get a disc drag reel with large arbor and extra spool. Get a 1-2 IPS sink tip line and a 5-7 IPS sink tip. Weight isn't a factor as the rig will be heavy no matter what you do. A heavy reel may make the swingweight more bearable. Just my 0.02

^ +1

Spend most of your money on a good rod. A half decent large arbor reel with an extra spool and sink-tip line will work just fine. (unless you are on Andy's boat hunting D hogs in the dark all the time ).

A 966 rod would work, but a 7wt would be ideal for flinging meat to trout and does double duty for SMB as well as steelies. My favorite/most used stick is a 10' 7wt.

I got a 9'6" 6wt Radian on Ebay for just over $500 and I don't have enough good things to say about it. I use it for streamers mostly, nymphs, too, but it will cast dries in a pinch no problem.

However, still too light for rabbit strips.

If you already have an 8wt use it.
The fish won't know the difference.
I have used a handful of 8's for streamer fishing before I picked up a 7.
I currently use a Sage One 9' 7wt and a St Croix Bank Robber
9' 7wt. I prefer the St Croix. It may have something to do with the fact that they actually use an 8wt tip on that rod rather than a 7.

For a reel I went with the 3-tand and the drag is phenomenal and overall the reel is nearly bulletproof.

Id look in to some Orvis Recons, a sweet rod for under 500$.
If your looking to throw that big of flies, I'd also go with the 7wt.

I used a winston biiix 907 on Henry's fork with big heavy articulated streamers, it was very good. I don't really like overhead casting with rods longer than 9', so that's my only hangup on length. I'd look for a fast action 7 wt. I like older rods so I'd say sage xp, sage tcr, scott s4, scott s3, st Croix legend (not super familiar with them but whatever their offering is in your price range), helios tip flex, helios 2 tip flex, pretty much any Thomas and Thomas 7wt, etc. I use old click pawl cfos for pretty much all of my fishing including steelhead and don't have much trouble so I wouldn't worry about drag. Large arbor is an advantage, just make sure the reel balances well. If you get something heavier an able big game 1 (or today's equivalent) will work great and have an excellent drag. I really don't think you can go wrong with a fast action 7 weight.

The sage in krayfish's post is a bad #censor# rod and would do what you want and save you some coin.

Kray is right, 7 weight for big articulated stuff.

Back