Streamer Fly Box

OSlumpBuster18

OSlumpBuster18

Any suggestions on a good streamer fly box? I purchased a cheaper on Amazon a few years back and it barely holds the flies and doesn't organize them neatly. I've been looking at a Fulling Mill Streamer box wasn't sure if anyone has used there boxes before?

Was looking at same - I do have 2 fulling mills nymph boxes - red with brushed / clear top with magnetic close /- I really like them - never failed. The streamer box looks like it will hold a lot of streamers - with a couple jointed / articulated thrown in. Don’t think we can go wrong with it. Enjoy!

Was looking at same - I do have 2 fulling mills nymph boxes - red with brushed / clear top with magnetic close /- I really like them - never failed. The streamer box looks like it will hold a lot of streamers - with a couple jointed / articulated thrown in. Don’t think we can go wrong with it. Enjoy!
I don't have the streamer box (yet) but I too have been happy with Fulling Mill boxes. I got a couple with the magnetic closures when they ran a sale a while back.

What are the dimensions of the box you're looking for? Montana fly company makes him real nice boxes but they're more of a boat box and a bit pricey.

I bought a couple Art Bin cases, white foam sheets (thick) and Gorilla 2-sided clear heavy duty tape and make my own boat boxes. For my carry pack, I just use a small foam patch and carry a few of what I need for that trip.

Reactions: CRB
Bought a couple of these for streamers at a decent price and they work well for me >

Last edited:
I also don't have the streamer box, I have the 960 ct. nymph box (the 4 pager). I am really satisfied with this box and it is my main nymph box. I feel like these Fulling Mill boxes are pretty durable. I've had no issues with mine.

I have a “Deep clear plastic box” from Risen. They have 25% off right now. Closure leaves little to desire.

Appreciate all the suggestions! I am really looking for a box that would fit into my sling pack, the boat boxes unfortunately are generally to big.

I’ve used Cliff’s Bugger Barn for fresh and salt water for many years.
They are good quality and fit what I use.

I bought a couple Art Bin cases, white foam sheets (thick) and Gorilla 2-sided clear heavy duty tape and make my own boat boxes. For my carry pack, I just use a small foam patch and carry a few of what I need for that trip.
Make your own like above pick a size, a box that meets your expectations, some sheet foam and build it 24 hour epoxy is water proof.
If you wnt a silicone base 3'd print a female mold and pour in silicon:
cure, attach to box.

I don't know how "crafty" you are, but I use these boxes from Amazon and glue cut foam sheets in them. You can generally find foam sheets in the craft stores (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc.). Make a template from cardboard and then you'll have it for future boxes. They're a cost-effective alternative to commercially available fly boxes.

These are my saltwater boxes, for example:

IMG 0005

I’ve used Cliff’s Bugger Barn for fresh and salt water for many years.
They are good quality and fit what I use.
I second the Bugger Barn. I used that for a streamer box last year and this year before my OCD forced me to condense all of my streamers into a larger Umpqua box. TCO offers a version similar to the dimensions of the Bugger Barn. It is more durable than the Bugger Barn (plastic is thicker) but the Barn has more interior space. I doubt I even moved flies into the TCO box I bought. My only complaint with the barn is that it needed a better system to secure the lid. I crammed streamers into mine and it would occasionally open back up if dropped etc.

I don't consider myself "crafty" but I have built a few champion pinewood derby cars over the last few years. Next time I get dragged to Hobby Lobby I will take a look at maybe DIYing a box of my own.

I don't know how "crafty" you are, but I use these boxes from Amazon and glue cut foam sheets in them. You can generally find foam sheets in the craft stores (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc.). Make a template from cardboard and then you'll have it for future boxes. They're a cost-effective alternative to commercially available fly boxes.

These are my saltwater boxes, for example:

View attachment 1641232222

I keep meaning to do this with some large Flambeau boxes I have with the long built in rows. Right now, each row is just a pile of clousers or sand eels or gurglers, etc. all knotted together.

How deep do you go on the foam? I've been worried that one sheet of 2 mm is not going to be deep enough?

I use the Fulling Mill streamer box and like it. I had been using slotted silicone boxes. But after I tried a Fulling Mill box, I found them much lighter. For instance, one of the empty silicone boxes weighed more than a Fulling Mill foam box that was half filled with tungsten bead nymphs. Because I carry 4-6 boxes onto the stream at a time, I appreciate the weight savings.

likewise I stopped using silicone boxes. Just don’t like them.

My streamers are an absolute, freaking mess! And they probably always will be, but I do have streamers! I subscribe to the fact that after you untangle them and rip some hooks through streamer materials they become even more productive when fished.

I have a dual sided "craft" box full. It's my mother box full. I used 8mm total foam thickness and used 3M spray adhesive to hold the sheets together, cut to fit

Any suggestions on a good streamer fly box? I purchased a cheaper on Amazon a few years back and it barely holds the flies and doesn't organize them neatly. I've been looking at a Fulling Mill Streamer box wasn't sure if anyone has used there boxes before?
Dear OSlumpBuster18,

Realistically, how many streamers do you want or need to take with you at any one time?

Plano 3400 or 3500 series lure boxes typically used by gear fishermen with holes drilled in the lids and bottom, or both lids for a two-sider for air flow have handled my streamer duties for a couple of decades. I fill them with Clousers and Wolly buggers mostly, but they work well for me.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back