Stream thermometers

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

After getting tired of forgetting to retrieve stream thermometers from the water, and not being able to locate it once I realized my mistake, I started using a fluorescent red marker attached to it. If you have a rough idea of where you left it, it at least gives you a better chance of spotting it when you go back to find it. It's helped me a couple of times now.

Attachments

• IMG_2071.jpg
    IMG_2071.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 19
After getting tired of forgetting to retrieve stream thermometers from the water, and not being able to locate it once I realized my mistake, I started using a fluorescent red marker attached to it. If you have a rough idea of where you left it, it at least gives you a better chance of spotting it when you go back to find it. It's helped me a couple of times now.
I attach my thermometer to my pack with heavy-weight line and let it dangle for a minute or two. I retrieve it from the water, read the temp, wind the line back up around the thermometer and reclip it to my pack.

I use an old length of shoelace to tie my thermometer to my wading belt so I can let it hang in the water for a few minutes.

I need to do something like you do. I lost yet another thermometer this season. I imagine I lose one every couple of years.

I need to do something like you do. I lost yet another thermometer this season. I imagine I lose one every couple of years.
I'll bet I've lost/forgotten at least 6 of them over the years. A couple times twice in a season. That's why I went with the marker. lol

Last edited:
The cheapo thermometers I've owned, with mercury tubes, seem to be not very accurate. Any suggestions for a better one?

The cheapo thermometers I've owned, with mercury tubes, seem to be not very accurate. Any suggestions for a better one?
I've sometimes questioned the accuracy of my mercury thermometer, but when I check a stream temp when I get on it in the morning, then check it again when leaving, I'll usually see a couple degree difference. So, it leads me to believe it's got to be fairly accurate.

Also, check your thermometer with the known outside air temp when starting out. That should give you a good idea as to it's accuracy.

About 1000 years ago and a few thermometers later (because I'm STUPID), I started tethering my thermometer to me with a length of thin cord.

FWIW - I like the Fish Pond Swift Current thermometer. They are light, small, need no batteries and are more than accurate enough for trout fishing but like most imported crap, I think they are discontinued by Fish Pond but still readily available.

If you want to check your thermometer, allow freshwater ice to melt in a thermos or other well-insulated container. Put your thermometer in it. When it's something like 1/2 melted, see how far it is from "0 C" or 32 F. That's about the only good way to check the accuracy that is super-commonly available and do-able. This temp up to 70 degrees is something like in the middle 1/3 of the range of the thermometer (not just where the markings are). That's the 'old-school" analytical chemist rule of thumb for the most precise range of the device. And actually it's more like 40 to 70. If water is 36-38, there very possibly is ice on the water. And if you have to know the temperature of your Martini, then I can't help you.

Back