Stream Thermometer Recommendations

S

Sylvaneous

Which one do you like? Have you calibrated it or at least compared it to see how accurate it is? I mean, the difference between 67 and 70 is "Fish" or "Don't Fish".
Syl.

I use a digital aquarium thermometer. $6.99 and takes about 10 seconds to read the temp. The probe is on a 36" long wire lead and I attached a heavy lead weight to it so I can drop it in pools. I'm diligent about turning the power off after every use and the battery has lasted over 2 years at this point. They're meant to be left on continuously. I've checked it against my Apera field tester and it's the same reading, so pretty accurate.

I like Thermoworks products. I use the

Pocket Infrared Thermometer (IR-POCKET) non-contact one​

Thanks for the recommendations.
SYl

It really struck me last week on Spring, the creek I fish that is the least sensitive to flow and temperature. As I walked (waded) over to net a trout, I felt the west (west? mostly) 1/3 of the stream was warmer than the east 2/3. I wouldn't say the warmer 1/3 was a dangerous temp, but on a July afternoon, it becomes salient that I should pay closer attention to this. I didn't know , and the senses can't be trusted.

It really struck me last week on Spring, the creek I fish that is the least sensitive to flow and temperature. As I walked (waded) over to net a trout, I felt the west (west? mostly) 1/3 of the stream was warmer than the east 2/3. I wouldn't say the warmer 1/3 was a dangerous temp, but on a July afternoon, it becomes salient that I should pay closer attention to this. I didn't know , and the senses can't be trusted.
Where were you on Spring Creek?

Is there a tributary or spring just above where you were fishing?

Spring Creek can get warm in the summer. It commonly goes above 70F, and probably hits 74F nearly every summer. I've taken temps of 76F, but that's rare, occurring during extreme conditions.

I use the Fishpond Swift Current that has been discontinued, but there are some floating around out there as well as a knock-off sold on Amazon that looks identical and is probably made in the same factory in China as the Fish Pond.

Because I’m stupid, I have a long thin cord with a barrel swivel attached to my mine. The cord is attached to the pouch I keep it in so I can’t forget it in the stream. :oops: When I am not using it, I wrap the cord around the thermometer case and keep it secured with two small O-rings. The barrel swivel keeps twists out of the cord when I wrap it around the case.

I also have the same set-up with a much longer cord that I keep in a small plastic storage tube in the glove box that I call my “bridge thermometer.” The purpose of the extra thermometer is so I can measure a stream temperature from a bridge when reconnoitering versus having to scramble down to the creek only to find out the water is too warm.

I’ve been carrying a stream thermometer for decades. I’ve owned everything from a sweet Hardy I bought in the 1980’s to fancier professional mercury and alcohol versions in longer cases. I am partial to the Swift Current for a couple of reasons; first, it is small so it fits just about anywhere. Second, it is aluminum and light, which is important because it won’t “klunk” as hard on rocks if I lower it or drop it into the water clumsily like brass or stainless steel cased thermometers. Trust me, I’ve busted heavier thermometers doing just that but I never broke a Swift Current.

Third, it doesn’t use batteries… I do a lot of cooking and BB-Qing and own more than a few digital and IR thermometers so I know how fast and accurate they can be. However storing a thermometer with a long, possibly sharp probe and making sure I have spare batteries when fishing is a PIA I can’t be bothered with. I also know that the surface temperature of a body of water can be completely different from a few inches or feet below, so I want to be able to lower my stream thermometer into deep pools or lakes. That leaves out an IR option or anything that isn’t 100% water proof to 25 meters or more.

In regards to accuracy and being able to read the graduations; when I used to keep a fishing log, I’d measure & record the stream temperature. Now that I don’t, the ONLY reason I carry one is to make sure the water isn’t too warm to catch & release trout. Knowing that the temperature can vary depending on where and how deep I am fishing, I don’t split hairs in regards to the actual temperature. I painted a small green dot on my thermometer at 60 degrees and a small red dot at 65.

If it reads 65, I keep an eye on things. If it gets a degree or two above, I’m outta there.

Have fun!!

I like the instant reads myself and use a Taylor Precision Compact Waterproof: https://a.co/d/cLsTMsd

Only thing I wasn't crazy about was the relatively sharp point all the instants have. My solution was to drill a bunch of vent holes in the cap, tape it on permanently, tie a string through one of the holes, and throw it in like a common log (theres a deep ref for someone reading this) when I'm curious.

I laminate an aquarium stick on thermometer 50*f to 90*f between two sheets of plastic laminate punch a hole in it and attach it to my wading boots. No batteries, non harmful to environment and easy to read.

The bridge below Mammoth Springs, on the opposite side from the spring.
Do you mean Benner Spring? Never heard of a Mammoth Spring in PA.

Back to the thread topic : I still like a good old glass thermometer.
It sinks to the bottom fine. And no problems with the battery going dead.

I'm currently using one from Orvis that I just bought a year ago.
It's easier to read than my old one. Numbers and marks are a little larger

It's at the 'end' of the section that I heard christened best by Grizz as the "Riviera Paradise". Grizz, as many, was a big Stevie Ray fan and he mixed "Fisherman's Paradise" with the cottage that has now been re-built, but had a sign on it saying "The Riviera" , which is now next to the most amazing fishing cabin (to my knowledge) being built, or re-built, on the banks of Spring. What is that road called, Creek Road? Like a lot of familiar places, I really don't know the actual name or title of many roads.
So most fly fishers in my circle (which is my friend, John, and not many others) call this "The Riviera Paradise" which we consider to end at that 1st road bridge. There is a huge dark red sign at the bridge that says "Mammoth Springs Dairy" Hence, "Mammoth Springs" Not that it's a whole lot bigger than several other springs even right in the area. The one that comes out of the bottom of The Riviera is a similar size.
ANYWAY.... it's that.

I laminate an aquarium stick on thermometer 50*f to 90*f between two sheets of plastic laminate punch a hole in it and attach it to my wading boots. No batteries, non harmful to environment and easy to read.

I love this!

It's at the 'end' of the section that I heard christened best by Grizz as the "Riviera Paradise". Grizz, as many, was a big Stevie Ray fan and he mixed "Fisherman's Paradise" with the cottage that has now been re-built, but had a sign on it saying "The Riviera" , which is now next to the most amazing fishing cabin (to my knowledge) being built, or re-built, on the banks of Spring. What is that road called, Creek Road? Like a lot of familiar places, I really don't know the actual name or title of many roads.
So most fly fishers in my circle (which is my friend, John, and not many others) call this "The Riviera Paradise" which we consider to end at that 1st road bridge. There is a huge dark red sign at the bridge that says "Mammoth Springs Dairy" Hence, "Mammoth Springs" Not that it's a whole lot bigger than several other springs even right in the area. The one that comes out of the bottom of The Riviera is a similar size.
ANYWAY.... it's that.
Stream thermometer recommendation? ;)

ANYWAY.... it's that.
I think you're referring to what I've always heard called the "cottage section" along spring creek road.
That 1st bridge - and the only bridge really in that section - is the one at the axemann gauge station.

Never noticed the mammoth springs farm sign.
However, that farm does sell honey thru a self pay box right on the road.
And I've always referred to it as the honey farm.

Funny how fishermen can get completely terms for places, I guess......

Back