stream reports for Oil Creek

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I can't seem to find anywhere that reports up to date info on stream conditions and hatches online. Any help?

Thats been like that for YEARS........ I fish O.C. a lot from end of March till Mid/Late June...( if I can't get away from "life" for 3 or more days to go out to Penns Cr.) .....Neshanook Creek Outfitters lists O.C. as a reported stream but only gives stream flow info........And Oil Creek Outfitters doesn't even keep a website up that's current!!!!!!! That guy never impressed me much as a businessman...... He once told me that the fish/fishing there (O.C.) was on par w/Penns!!!!!!!

It would be great if anyone get's there this year provide a stream report on this site. Not required, but just a little poke to share. Thanks

I plan to head there a few times this year. It's been on my radar for a few years now and it's time to spend some time on the water. I don't get out much so just want to chase a few hatches and know when they're on. Mainly the grannoms since it's a short hatch.

Hey dude !!!!!! I'm just up the hill from you in North Sewickley Twp... Out near Brush Creek Park.......;););)

I don't know why Mike Lacoski quit posting stream reports. It would be a nice thing to do by the owner of a fly shop in the area.

As for the grannoms - I use to fish them on oil and sugar creek the third or fourth week of april 20. But that was 20 + years ago now. And I haven't fished there recently
I'm sure they're likely earlier now, just like hatches everywhere else.
My guess is that they would probably hatch there about the same time as they do on neshannock creek.

There are several forum members who have posted reports about oil creek in the past. Perhaps they will chime in.

I fished oil creek last year on April 30th and grannoms were coming off. Somewhat consistent with what DFG said. Hoping to get back up there again this year.

I am most like likely fishing it Sat or Sunday. I have been fishing it for the past 20 years. It is great and gets some decent hatches. Access is easy - there is some great dryfly water. It is close to my camp so I go several times a year. Bonus - there are some nice smallies in there as well. It is a great river worth the drive from wpa for sure.

I plan on fishing it for the first time this year and will post a report if I do. I found out a co-worker has a cabin up there and he's invited me up, hoping to get there in May.

I have a cabin near Titusville, but live out of state. I've been fishing the OC for 20+ years. I don't get to fish it as much as I used to, but I still get out a couple times a year. Mike Lakowski at Oil Creek Outfitters is a good guy. He may not be able to keep a website up and running, but if you go in there, buy a few flies and ask a few questions he'll give you good hatch info and put you on some trout. Besides Oil Creek the Titusville/Oil Creek area has some nice streams, both wild and stocked.

If there's anyone out there that fishes for wild trout in that area, I'd like to chat with you. I've fished a lot streams in that area and would like to share info.

Is oil creek open to fish right now? I thought all stocked streams were closed to fishing from 2/28 - opening day?

The two special reg areas are open year round. They used to be delayed harvest/artificial lures only. But one - or maybe both of them - has just changed to keystone select.

dryflyguy wrote:

As for the grannoms - I use to fish them on oil and sugar creek the third or fourth week of april 20. But that was 20 + years ago now. And I haven't fished there recently
I'm sure they're likely earlier now, just like hatches everywhere else.
My guess is that they would probably hatch there about the same time as they do on neshannock creek.

Not only are the probably the same time as Neshannock, but they are about the same time as the Little J and Penns, like within days. Whenever I bet they are a week apart, I prove myself wrong.

It's been so cold recently that I wouldn't bet on any action earlier than the 1st weekend after the trout kill opener. But is that too soon for the grannoms? Good question. Its usually close.

I'll check it out and post what I see. You'll find them flitting around in the afternoons once they start, even if I can't be there at 10 when they hatch.

Syl

Is Oil Creek Outfitters (Mike's place) still open?

Putyaonagurney wrote:
I have a cabin near Titusville, but live out of state. I've been fishing the OC for 20+ years. I don't get to fish it as much as I used to, but I still get out a couple times a year. Mike Lakowski at Oil Creek Outfitters is a good guy. He may not be able to keep a website up and running, but if you go in there, buy a few flies and ask a few questions he'll give you good hatch info and put you on some trout. Besides Oil Creek the Titusville/Oil Creek area has some nice streams, both wild and stocked.

If there's anyone out there that fishes for wild trout in that area, I'd like to chat with you. I've fished a lot streams in that area and would like to share info.
Does anyone really need help finding fish on Oil Creek? Anywhere I’ve ever parked there are lots of fish.

Mike's (Oil Creek Outfitters) will be open soon. I'm pretty sure, Mike has been going to Florida for the winter for the last number of years. He is usually back prior to the first day. But you never know with this weather.

Mike was going to head home two weeks ago but this unusually long cold snap we're having has delayed his emergence from Florida. That and the resident tarpon fishing has been pretty hard to leave behind.

Water down and clear. Cold. Very cold. No bug activity at all. Not even midges. Stay home until water warms next weekend. Big fish were stocked. A few people were catching fish on generic nymphs. I suspect a pale yellow sucker spawn would do quite well. I just threw spinners. Too cold for me to fly fish.

Syl

Back