Stream Morphology

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Interesting article dealing with "meandering" of a stream or river >

https://www.ausableriver.org/blog/why-do-streams-meander?fbclid=IwAR3jrGOF_HSOaj4aeFUhVBk-X_JhBLPfa_r_KlEo1BiuYOz1L_A2faw0J9o

Learned a new word today. "Thalweg" the deepest part of the channel.

How many here have heard that one before? I haven't.

Mean thalweg depths in pools, riffles, and runs were each individually considered as variables, among many others, when the statewide stocked trout residency study was conducted a little over a decade ago. It was the first time that I had heard the term and conducted such measurements as part of a study, so don’t feel bad that as an angler the above article was your first exposure.

Tigereye wrote:
Learned a new word today. "Thalweg" the deepest part of the channel.

How many here have heard that one before? I haven't.

I have. In 1975 I was working in the college library, shelving books, and came upon the fluvial geomorphology section, which consisted of about 4 books.

The most famous of these was "Fluvial Processes in Geomorphology" by Leopold, Wolman, and Miller.

That's how I first became aware that the field of fluvial geomorphology even existed.

I was studying fisheries at the time, and I was not getting any of that in class. The whole 4 year fisheries curriculum had nothing on the physical aspects of streams and rivers, which was a travesty.

I don't know if that has improved in current fisheries curriculums in college or not. I hope so.

By the way, Penn State University libraries have very extensive literature on these topics. If anyone reading this is at Penn State, you can dig in. It's mostly in the Earth & Mineral Sciences library, and in Biology section of Pattee library.

Back