Stream go to flys.

brookieaddict

brookieaddict

Besides wild trout, how can a stream have a go to fly when they all bumped the wire and got pellets?? Any ideas??

brookieaddict wrote:
Besides wild trout, how can a stream have a go to fly when they all bumped the wire and got pellets?? Any ideas??

Hatchery fish acclimate very quickly to a stream environment (at least with respect to food) and this is why traditional nymphs and streamers can be go-to flies early in the season.

So your saying they have food ingrained in their genome, and know what to eat without ever seeing it, or are just that hungry the predatory insticnt takes over??

I respectfully disagree. Stocked trout have a little bit of everything in their stomachs when caught, from pebbles to twigs. They have to learn what food is in a wild environment. If you watch video of freshly stocked trout, you'll see them putting all kinds of things in their mouths.
That's why even most fly fishermen use bait opening weekend.

As do I

Chaz

If you watch video of freshly stocked trout, you'll see them putting all kinds of things in their mouths.

There is a joke here. I just know it.

Chaz wrote:

Hahahahahahahahaha. Where did you come up with that one?!?!

Hmmmmmmm I wonder who would do that.

Can't say I've ever used bait on my fly rod... But I do see a lot more San Juan worms, eggs, wooly buggers, etc thrown at fresh stockies. I also use more worms and other things like scuds that represent small grubs etc.

I never used a fly rod for worms. I will however drop a san juan worm off of a different fly, but never live bait.

Chaz wrote:
I respectfully disagree. Stocked trout have a little bit of everything in their stomachs when caught, from pebbles to twigs. They have to learn what food is in a wild environment. If you watch video of freshly stocked trout, you'll see them putting all kinds of things in their mouths.

So stocked trout will eat anything, including all sorts of non-food debris..... ....but fly fisherman need to resort to bait in order to catch them?

Right.

Sure.

Whatever.

A bunch of clowns.

I used to use wax worms on the fly rod and stream live minnows as I was just learning with my father.. now I've graduated so to speak.. But I do see my share of bait dunkers on the fly rod from time to time.. Cant say I see more on opening day than any other day though

Back