Stream closest to State College

sroach

sroach

Can someone point me to a good place to fish near State College.

Looking like I'll have a couple hours to kill in the first week of June.

Quick Google map search showed, Spring and Cedar Run and Slab Cabin Run?

Any help since this is my first time in the area would be helpful.

Thanks guys.

Spring Creek. That will be enough to keep you busy.

" "

Sometimes the obvious choice is the best one.

If you can find those spare hours on a weekday, so much the better.

Dont hesitate. Spring Creek.

I really wish I was back at school somedays just for that reason.

Yup. Spring creek. Or if you really hate the crowds, you could try stone creek. It's south of state college on the other side of Rothrock state forest. It's stocked with trout, but I've definitely caught some holdovers in it. You can also see some warm water species in there - I've caught sunnies and at least a couple rock bass.

Colyer lake can also be fun if the pickerel are biting.

Spring is the obvious choice. The first week of June you may still see March browns, with the way this year is going but will see some sulphurs. I'd be prepared with March browns size 12, sulphurs size 16 and blue wing olives in size 18. Also rusty spinners in each of those sizes. I'd also do my very best to spend more than just a few hours there. You won't be disapointed.

I did not know Spring got a march brown hatch. Interesting

"O I had never in my life seen anything like that trout stream. It was stacked in piles of various lengths: ten, fifteen, twenty feet, etc. There was one pile of hundred-foot lengths. There was also a box of scraps. The scraps were in odd sizes ranging from six inches to a couple of feet....

...I went up close and looked at the lengths of stream. I could see some trout in them. I saw one good fish. I saw some crawdads crawling around the rocks at the bottom.

It looked like a fine stream. I put my hand in the water. It was cold and felt good..."

http://www.stpetershigh.org.uk/DEPARTMENTS/ENGLISH_DEPT/PRUSH/KS4_Resources/Trout_Fishing.html

Spring creek is one of my favorite places to fish near state college. Stop in one of the local fly shops and get flies to match the current hatch. I'm sure the guys at the shop will point you to some good water as well.

PS. Colyer lake is undergoing a staged draw down. the dam needs to be replaced. It might be a few years until completed because the money is not available.

Thanks everyone for the information..

Spring Creek it is.. So I own a 4wt and a 6wt, can I use the 4wt on that stream?

Back