Storing Your Tandem Flies For A Quick Tie On

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

Since I started fishing a furled leader I have found myself using more tandem rigs with a dropper. Just so darn easy to tie on to the tippet ring of the furled leader even under the worst stream side conditions. I experiment with different variations/combinations and find it so easy to change from one rig to another by storing the flies as recommended by Charles Meck in his great book "Fishing Tandem Flies". He says to tie them on a small piece of pipe insulation. Here is a picture of my rig which I attach to my Lanyard for summertime fishing. The only change I made from what Meck said to do is I used a small piece of scotch tape to secure the tag ends of the tippet.

Attachments

• PVC Rig for leader with a dropper resized.jpg
    PVC Rig for leader with a dropper resized.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 13
I've tried it a couple of ways and the rigs just get tangled.

Chaz wrote:
I've tried it a couple of ways and the rigs just get tangled.

Same here....but obviously putting them on a spool is less likely to happen. I imagine it would become cumbersome to carry around something like what is pictured above.

It looks like a good PFD for Fade's lanyard.

Actually Maurice it is not cumberson at all. I will take and post another pic of the lanyard for perspective. By the way Meck strongly suggests fishing a hopper as the indicator and a PT as the dropper in the late warm summer months. I have yet to fish this combination.

Forgive him.....he's only a lawyer. I'm sure he meant "cumbersome".
Incredible!!!!!

I've been using "puck" style containers for storing my tandom rigs. I have a few empty Simms studs containers and a few bubble tape containers. Just heat up a needle and melt holes in it from the inside out. The reason you do it from inside out is so you can scrape off excess plastic. By melting holes in them it speeds up the drying process. You can use multiple rigs per container by cutting a piece of foam the same size as the inside of the container to separate the rigs. When using the stacking system it helps to use clear pucks so you can see what rigs are in each puck. This system works well for me.

A couple ideas come to mind for storing/carrying these:

1 - If you want to carry them flat, you could take the flat rig out of this Flambeau case. They have longer ones as well. Not sure it's the best idea for carrying and I would want to cushion the ends so the line doesn't crease. I use this one for flounder rigs and it works very well.

http://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/fishing/default.asp?p=Details&c=FRESH+AND+SALT+WATER&s=TUFF+TAINER&i=6544HV

2 - And now for something completely different... Neck tie travel caddy. I actually picked one of these up at a thrift shop. No idea why, since I hate ties and we don't wear them at work. I just knew it would have a use and it was cheap. The center has an "axle" that you could slip a hook into. I'm thinking you could add foam around the center, and just roll it up slowly and carefully. These are plastic and very light, but I'd wrap a thin beer can coazie or something around it to protect it.

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00OeqTpgnMAYuJ/Tie-Caddy-TC-002-.jpg

Easiest way to carry tandem rigs - don't, tie them on when you need want to fish it. Easy to carry and choose the flies you want to fish now, not what you have pre-rigged. My this fly fishing is complicated by all sorts of gadgets and gizmos. Carry less stuff, concentrate on proper presentation of the proper flies. Sorry about that rant, but I believe our(see MINE) lives, including our hobbies, have become too complicated and this takes away from the true, meaningful joys we whould experience.

scotto wrote:
Easiest way to carry tandem rigs - don't, tie them on when you need want to fish it. Easy to carry and choose the flies you want to fish now, not what you have pre-rigged. My this fly fishing is complicated by all sorts of gadgets and gizmos. Carry less stuff, concentrate on proper presentation of the proper flies. Sorry about that rant, but I believe our(see MINE) lives, including our hobbies, have become too complicated and this takes away from the true, meaningful joys we whould experience.

+1

Pre-rigging? I really don't get it, either. Tie a surgeons knot, what amounts to 2 or 3 simple overhand knots and use the tag end to tie on your fly.

Let me clarify something.....I don't "pre rig" my tandom rigs I use the pucks for when I'm switching back and forth between dries and tandom rigs. Just to save on tippet and shot.

Back