Storing Fly Line???

C

Chet2134

Bought some Rio Gold fly line at Bass Pro today for 10 bucks (couldn't pass up the deal) but i don't have an outfit to use it with right now. A buddy of mine said that he stores his fly line in the freezer to store.

I am new to fly fishing so this sounds a little odd to me. Does anybody else do this and is it ok to do?

Thanks.

I've never heard of storing fly line in a freezer, and have no idea how that would benefit it.
I know that you don't want to store it near heat, however.
I leave mine on the reel and in my gun cabinet in the basement -cool dry place is best from what I've read.
I've also heard from some guys who take the line off the reel and wind it onto something with a larger diameter in the off season. Supposed to cut down on coiling

I also have never heard of storing it in the freezer. I take mine off my reel every fall, clean it, and hang it in loose loops in the basement. It definitely helps with coiling.

You should store your waders and boots in the freezer as well. The cold keeps the felt from degrading. Gortex starts to degrade at any temp above 35 degrees. The freezer really cuts down on that musty smell in the basement.

You should keep your waders in an ice chest when traveling to the stream as well. Trout can detect heat and wearing warm waders into the stream will drive the trout away.

The freezer would be the last place I would put my fly line.

If I purchase a line because it's on sale, call me crazy, but I keep it in the package. Afterall, how long was it in the package in a warehouse then hanging on the shelf before it went unsold and put on clearance. Another year ain't going to hurt.

The loose wrapping is a good idea, but if you have alack of space, I'd just leave it in the original package (it is designed to hold line line).

Bruno wrote: “You should store your waders and boots in the freezer as well. The cold keeps the felt from degrading. Gortex starts to degrade at any temp above 35 degrees. The freezer really cuts down on that musty smell in the basement.

You should keep your waders in an ice chest when traveling to the stream as well. Trout can detect heat and wearing warm waders into the stream will drive the trout away.”

Great tip Bruno. I purchased a 17.1 cu ft. top loading chest freezer just for that reason. It’s big enough to hold all my FF gear, including rods and reels. Also I use a Coleman 100 qt cooler to transport all my gear the stream. Dry ice works best, but in a pinch 3 - 10lb bags of ice does the trick.

Bruno, any tips on thawing out the shoestrings on your wading boots? Also, how do you deal with the ice crystals that form on your dry fly hackle?

Back