? Storage container for tied flies

Deuterium

Deuterium

I have been using a plastic compartmented container to store tied flies. This container is two sided, with compartments on both sides. It would be a good solution if it were not for the pesky nymphs, 16 and smaller. They find their way from one compartment to the next.

Suggestions for better compartmented containers or other ways to store extra flies would be welcome.

1. epoxy magnet tape to the bottom of the compartments, 2. get a CF fly box for nymphs.

- put some magnets in the bottom of the compartments

magnetic sheets are at the craft store
cut to fit
super glue

- look at "bead storage" stack jars
5584461c56c6e6ecdb04310a791e.jpg

I am a fan of the stack jars.

I also save the little plastic containers every time I buy flies. I have dozens of them.

Stack jars are a good idea you could also go to Michaels, walmart, or any craft store. They have tons of plastic containers you can use for fly storage.

I use stack jars. I either put dubbing in them or extra Cdc that I cut off of feathers. Also use them to store flies until I get them in my pack.

I like these, use one box for each type of fly. 32 compartments in each

Attachments

• DSCN6996.JPG
    DSCN6996.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 3
pDSP1-7443040p275w.jpg

Filling this is actually my winter project. Just as sandfly, but we have two different flies in various sizes and colors. A little like a portable fly shop.

JH

I'm not quite as fancy. I use the "disposable: Ziplock or Glad storage tubs from the grocery store. There are all kinds of sizes etc. Really cheap and do a nice job of separating the styles etc., stackable too.

For extras that I plan to fish, I like these boxes that I get from Cabela's:
s7_319133_999_01

They don't have as much space or flexibility, but I like that I can use them as a fly box in a pinch.
For flys I don't plan on fishing like swap flys or pattern standards, I have an elaborate system of ziplock bags and cigar boxes that I affectionately call "the black hole".

Check out flambeau's website. They have single sided and double sided slim fly boxes plus they float if you drop them. They fit nicely in your vest or pack.

Thanks for your thoughts. A good range of options for me to check out. As I continue to tie this winter, having a convenient and well organized way to store my flies until they are needed, will be very useful.

Magnetic tape or sheets is cheaper at the local hardware store. I use one of those boxes to store flies.

I thought I would give an update. I bought a package of magnetic sheets from Office Depot, 4-8X11 sheets for $10. I cut them to fit each compartment in the case and Superglued them into place magnetic side up. Works great, the small nymphs are no longer emerging. Thanks, BMarx.

if you go to michaels or any other craft store you can get a size 3700 tackle box but the dividers arent removable. flies can no longer shift from compartment to compartment.... pretty cheap on the $ also

if you go to michaels or any other craft store you can get a size 3700 tackle box but the dividers arent removable. flies can no longer shift from compartment to compartment

also good for hooks, I have 3 of them so far 2 for hooks and one is used for my 11/0 beads..

Back