Stonycreek River (Somerset County)

O

Outback_Yak

Has anyone fished Stonycreek River in Somerset County recently? (As in the last couple of years) In particular, I was interested in the gorge section downstream of Glessner's Covered bridge. I believe there was, or still is, a fingerling stocking program there. I have a cabin about a half hour away and was wondering if it is working checking out. Having a hard time finding any current info on the place. Thanks in advance.

I believe the water has improved greatly the last few years. I would contact Lenny Lichvar of Fish and Boat Comm on where to go. He has done a great deal of work at the watershed and is an avid fly fisherman.

It has an amazing grannom hatch in the water around route 30 in early May. I've driven past it and saw clouds of them. Lichvar and his pals promote it quite a bit. But I've never fished it.

Outback, I get there occasionally, a few times a year. It is not one of my go to locales, but you will always get some fish there. You are right, last I knew they had a fingerling deal there, and when I was there last spring I got a lot of smallish rainbows slightly bigger than a fingerling size.

There are some better trout in there too, we have gotten them up to 18" there, and I know some folks who have gotten them much bigger too. Although I personally have not, and I did spend some time hunting/targeting large ones there 10 or so years back, with little success.

The area you referred to is a good place to look, as is the areas right around 30. Also, don't be afraid of downstream. It may not look like trout water, but...

As far as any other info, you guys are right Lenny Lichvar is a good one to talk to for that stream. He is a friend of mine and I'm sure he would have no problem with any other questions on hatches or what not.

Also, wade carefully, its one of the slippiest streams Ive fished anywhere in the state.

Have fun.

Thanks for the info everyone. I really appreciate it. Looks like I'm gonna have to give Lenny Lichvar a ring tomorrow and see whats up.

Back