Stony Creek in Dauphin

JVenezia

JVenezia

I have private access to a very nice section owners have told me great things about it... Does not get over fished and very little pressure due to their location.. Has anyone ever fished Stony in or around dauphin?

I haven't, but I would be up for it

Would anybody entertain directions
To this spot.

Stoney is a weird stream, tough wading, beautiful scenery, walk in access beyond the gate that doesn't get stocked until late. I'm gonna give it another shot sometime soon, but I was skunked a year or so ago when I was there last.

Stoney is gorgeous but not one of my favorites. If you have access to a private stretch I would think it should fish more consistently.

Has some pretty good dry fly action and nymphing if you can find fish. They are not throughout the whole stream but there is some there, and i think there is also some holdovers. Find the deep pockets and you'll find fish.

chances are I know exactly where your talking. I have fished pretty much every section from the gate down and a little bit from the gate up. I can be on stony in about 3 minutes and I never fish it. It seems to be only good after they stock. Above the dam at the inn gets pretty good hatch. Other than that I really dont like stony at all. Most fish dont seem to holdover very well either. But now that the limestone well is up on rausch it has gotten a lot better.

Idrather where would you go up that way if you drive past it? Maybe I will hit another spot while up there.

Honestly its tough to say J. The stream and where fish are change every year. ill send you a pm.

That flat above the dam has really good hatches and spinnerfalls in May. Most are stocked sinks 7-12". Still fun. I think the hatches are heavier in the lower section due to the river being so close / adding a ton more bugs. You'll have to get clearance from Larry. He's in that flat 4 nights a week. Lol. I live closer than idratherbephishing and fish it less than he does. Lol.

I dont know its probably about the same distance as I can just walk there lol. And Larry can be a bit of a **** if you dont know him. Hes saying this year he owns the parking lot and you must be a member of Death Valley Fishing club? Guys somewhere else LoL. When the hatches are good right before dark I'll usually just walk over for the last hour or so.

May I ask what a Larry is?

IdratherbePhishing wrote:
I dont know its probably about the same distance as I can just walk there lol. And Larry can be a bit of a **** if you dont know him. Hes saying this year he owns the parking lot and you must be a member of Death Valley Fishing club? Guys somewhere else LoL. When the hatches are good right before dark I'll usually just walk over for the last hour or so.

Death Valley Fishing club!? I'm guessing he wasn't a marketing major in college.

I've had my two best dryfly total caught days ever in Stoney, but it was with a bike about 8 miles above the gate. Skeeters are brutal.
Best bet is to take off and help stock, then go back about a week or two late after the corn chuckers have given up.

Hes an old biker that probably did too much drugs in his younger age. He fishes the slow water above the Inn just about every night. Loud guy, he's alright but if ya didnt know him like I said he could easily bee seen as a ****. Hes my brothers next door neighbor so unfortunately I have to deal with him outside of fishing as well.

Too funny well if I run into to him tell him to be on the look out for a friendly looking tall bald guy... Maybe just maybe I might have candy or something on me.. And I will make no attempt to poke the bear... LOL

I will be fishing off of Creekview Dr. or Rd. whatever they call it if that narrows it down for anyone in the know.. lol

I forgot all about that "club". LMAO. Did you see the reserved parking signs they put up last year? He's a bit rough but a decent guy. Not a bad caster either.

Back