Stony Creek Access?

troutpoop

troutpoop

Anyone know where I can access Stony. I live in Hershey and mostly fish Clarks, Manada, & Yellow Breeches. I'd like to try Stony but have never been able to figure out where I can get access. It all looks like private property along the road?? Any help would be appreciated.

Stony creek road where it goes to dirt/gravel and keeps going until you can't drive further and you can walk using the old railroad grade. various pull offs on the dirt/gravel section.

There's a large section of that stream with legal access on SGL 211. Coming in from the west end of the valley...at the end of the road there is a SGL gate and a rail trail path. The rail trail parallels the stream upstream for many miles. You can walk or bike. This is all on SGL.

You can also access it further upstream in the game lands on Cold Spring Road going up over the mountain from Ft. Indiantown Gap. This is a rough road...4wd recommended and some good ground clearance probably needed too.

The SGL in that valley is a huge piece of acreage. The headwaters of Stony Creek can also be accessed from the easten end off of Goldmine Road in Lebanon Co. I think most if not all of the property between the gate on the west end (near Dauphin) and the gate on the east end (Goldmine Rd) is State Game Lands and open to public access. The biggest problem with Stony is there is too much area to cover and it is a time cosuming task just to get to some of it. Bottom line is, access should not be an issue. Dedicate an entire day, go and have some fun and see some beautiful country at the same time. Tight lines!

To clarify, if you come from the east, off Goldmine Road, it's 3.5 miles walk along a rails-to-trails path to reach the headwaters of Stony Creek. It's all SGL. The stream there, where the AT crosses it, has some acid mine drainage, so fish might not start for another 1/2 or so downstream. On the west end, near Dauphin, there is a SGL parking lot at the gate, and 10 miles of stream. And rattlesnakes, right?

Thanks. I'm gonna hit it Monday, I'll let you know how it goes.

troutpoop wrote:
Thanks. I'm gonna hit it Monday, I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm looking forward to a full report. Email with the details.

As far as the headwaters go there's fish all the way up to the diversion well now. But yes, it is a 3.5 mile walk/bike to get to the headwaters of the stream from the east. All on SGL though.

And yes, be on the watch for Rattlesnakes. That valley has a healthy population of them. There's probably less of a chance of running in to one along the creek at the valley floor but a quick hike up the ridge to the north will reveal why they like that valley.

Most of the land is public, some on the SGL and some on the State Forest.

I've been taking my mountain bike lately, 3.5 miles by bike is no more than 20 minutes.

A 3.5 mile walk will take more than an hour at a fast pace.

Last time I was there a Chinook helicopter landed in a field right in front of me, and then took off. I got to get those pics on here.

Most people back stony are nice enough it does not matter. I know my fair share of them out that way. Just go back stony until you come to dirt road and a pool around. Take the dirt road it's pretty bad road so don't fly on it. Plus that upsets all the people out there living. Anyways take it until it stops then walk bk in there and have at it. Everyone is extremely nice as long as your considerate of others. Let us know how you do.

+1 on rattlesnakes be careful there.

Good luck

We did hit Stony on Monday. We walked back from the gate about 2 miles +/-. Fished back towards the car. Caught one fish. It's a very neat place to go but the water flow was really low.
Very nice time.
I tried red ants, black ants, flying ants, floating, sinking etc etc. I tried bettle, crickets and everything else I could think of.

Back