Stoneflies and others

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

Got some new hooks at the fly show and tied up some stonefly nymphs along with some others. I have no clue which stonefly or other bugs these represent, I just tied them up to look cool. I feel if the give me confidence, I'll fish them regardless of what bugs are in that particular stream. I really like the stoneflies but I am still new to tying so please advise and critique for my reference in future tying. Im still learning how to edit photos properly so appologies for bad quality...

Stonefly
DSC_0048_zpsc28d6a8f.jpg

BH Stonefly
DSC_0047_zps55ea6bf9.jpg

Breadcrust
DSC_0049_zps74b56dbe.jpg

Nymphs
208eacf4-4a44-4cd0-b940-ab34594404cb_zps60d2df30.jpg

I don't fish stones much, but those all look really good. No critiques from my end!

That's a fine looking lot of flies you have there, get out and get them in the water as soon as temps get to your liking. They're all going to take fish, now and later.

Tyger, they look really good. I see you are making some good use of that partridge skin you got. They will catch some fish. I know just the place where we can try them.

GenCon

Thank you all,
I was foaming at the mouth to fish and tie after that show, but the polar vortex bullcrap decided no fishing. Picked up the slack in tying.

I really like stoneflies, but rarely fish them either. I just think they are really cool looking and enjoy tying them.

They all look great. I bet the fish will love them too.
Bill

I agree. They all look great.........

They look great. I like using vinyl rib for bodies as well.

I had trouble tying in the tubing. Had to start it behind the lead wraps to keep a somewhat proper tapered body.

Nice looking stonefly ties. I like the legs. You can control the taper of the body when using vinyl rib by increasing and decreasing the tension on the vinyl rib. Increase pressure at the tail and it will flatten out, as you move to the front of the body decrease the pressure as you go and it will help in forming a tapered body. This in combination with forming a tapered underbody with thread should help you with the overall tapered body issue. Keep up the good work!

I see what your saying. I think on bigger hooks it looks ok but on smaller hooks, tying it in the whole underbody would make it look to fat.

Tyger, bring it with you Thurs. night. I will show you some secrete squirrel tricks.

GenCon

Tyger, not sure what colors of rib you got, but use white thread under it if you have transparent or translucent colors. Then half hitch to secure them. Tie in the thread you will finish with and continue tying the pattern. Makes for a lot more brilliant and true colors. Just something I found through trial and error.

There are also different sizes as well. I believe they are small, nymph, medium, and large. I like to use it as ribbing on hares ear patterns occasionally, match the bead and the rib. Caught a lot of trout on off color hares ears.

Mike will bring my stuff.

Mike R, I have brown, chart, and black. All translucent. I thought the exact opposite of white thread. Thought if I used dark thread under the chart color, it would give a more mottled look I guess. I will try the white thread trick out tonight.

I think one thing holding me back is my vise doesnt hold my hooks to well anymore so really cranking on the tubing rips the hook out of the vise.

To reduce bulk at the tie in point, cut the end of the rib on an angle with scissors or a razor then tie in.

I agree with lv2nymph on reducing bulk.

I use black as well but for colors like chartreuse, pink, red, mainly non natural colors, white can make them louder or bright with the white thread.

Experiment with different colors underneath to get it how you like it. Some times colors like amber or orange can really get toned way to dark with the black thread. I guess its all in what you want it to end up like. You can always use white under, then color the top with permanent marker for a two tone look. I love vinyl rib, lots of possibilities.

Back