Stocking segment on ABC 27

The comment below is me playing the devil's advocate.

What if only brook trout were stocked and they weren't being stocked over wild brook trout? Then we wouldn't be spreading invasives, right?
In theory you’re correct. However we can’t dismiss the fact that multiple PFBC hatcheries have detected invasive New Zealand Mudsnails and continue to stock fish from them, even after admitting that the risk of transmitting these snails to other waterways is not zero.

Then there’s the issue of multiple pathogens that have also been detected in PFBC hatcheries. Pathogens that have caused hatchery closures in other states.

In theory you’re correct. However we can’t dismiss the fact that multiple PFBC hatcheries have detected invasive New Zealand Mudsnails and continue to stock fish from them, even after admitting that the risk of transmitting these snails to other waterways is not zero.

Then there’s the issue of multiple pathogens that have also been detected in PFBC hatcheries. Pathogens that have caused hatchery closures in other states.
Right. You know I know all of that. I don't care if we stopped stocking trout across the state tomorrow. Just deleted the program. In fact, I'd prefer it. Citizens will adapt and fish for other stuff, or they will just quit fishing.

It’s my impression that the fish from hatcheries where mudsnails have been detected are going only to water bodies where mudsnails have been detected. This explains some of the apparently odd scheduling changes that occur when waters traditionally stocked together are no longer being stocked together.
Your impression is incorrect.

Based on the 2023 stocking schedules, when I compiled this information.

Benner- Allegheny, Beaver, Carbon, Columbia, Huntington, Juniatia, Lackawanna, Lehigh, Luzerne, Mifflin, Monroe, Montour, Northampton, Northumberland, Pike, Susquehanna, and Wayne.

Pleasant Gap- Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Bedford, Blair, Butler, Cambria, Centre, Clearfield, Clinton, Dauphin, Elk, Fayette, Lebanon, Somerset, and Westmoreland.

31 counties in the state get fish from Benner Spring or Pleasant Gap. I don’t think there are 31 NZM infected waterways in the state.

Right. You know I know all of that. I don't care if we stopped stocking trout across the state tomorrow. Just deleted the program. In fact, I'd prefer it. Citizens will adapt and fish for other stuff, or they will just quit fishing.

Regrettably, that's the problem. If people quit fishing, a large portion of PaFBC funds would dry up and alot of the conservation efforts and enforcement with it. Some of our most prestine and fertile waters would see increased pressure. That inturn would cause increased posting of private property via landowners or new clubs popping up everywhere.

Not a good situation but, I think we are past the point of no return on stocking.

Regrettably, that's the problem. If people quit fishing, a large portion of PaFBC funds would dry up and alot of the conservation efforts and enforcement with it. Some of our most prestine and fertile waters would see increased pressure. That inturn would cause increased posting of private property via landowners or new clubs popping up everywhere.

Not a good situation but, I think we are past the point of no return on stocking.
I don't agree with a lot of this post, but we all have our opinions.

I actually don't think most stockie chasers are going to crowd our most pristine and fertile waters. The people that are likely to do that are the same type that frequent PAFF.

I also don't hate stocking. I just couldn't care less what happens with the program. I can see the positives and negatives of it, and they definitely both exist.

To add to this, the majority of the area west of the Allegheny Front is devoid of trout and the stocking program here is still very popular. There are a hell of a lot of great trout fisheries that wouldn't exist without the stocking program.

I am 100% against stocking over wild and native trout populations, but am 100% against ending stocking. It just needs to be done right.

Your impression is incorrect.

Based on the 2023 stocking schedules, when I compiled this information.

Benner- Allegheny, Beaver, Carbon, Columbia, Huntington, Juniatia, Lackawanna, Lehigh, Luzerne, Mifflin, Monroe, Montour, Northampton, Northumberland, Pike, Susquehanna, and Wayne.

Pleasant Gap- Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Bedford, Blair, Butler, Cambria, Centre, Clearfield, Clinton, Dauphin, Elk, Fayette, Lebanon, Somerset, and Westmoreland.

31 counties in the state get fish from Benner Spring or Pleasant Gap. I don’t think there are 31 NZM infected waterways in the state.
Maybe

Last edited:
The 2024 schedule possibly yields a different impression when one carefully checks certain counties.
I’m sorry I doubted your knowledge, I went back and compared the 2023 data with the 2024.

Turns out that in 2024, the two PFBC hatcheries that have been announced as having detected mudsnails, delivered fish to FOURTY ONE counties and not the thirty one that they did in 2023.

Going a step further and comparing waterways stocked by both PG and BS, and the imap invasives database, there are plenty of streams across the state which have not detected NZM, but yet are being stocked by a NZM positive hatchery.

Benner- Adams, Allegheny, Carbon, Centre, Clinton, Columbia, Franklin, Huntington, juniatia, Lackawanna, Lehigh, Luzerne, Mifflin, Monroe, Montour, Northampton, Northumberland, Pike, Susquehanna, Wayne,

P.G.- Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Bedford, Berks, Blair, Butler, Cambria, Centre, Chester, Clearfield, Clinton, Cumberland, Elk, Fayette, Forest, Franklin, Lebanon, Mckean, Montgomery, Philadelphia, Somerset, Westmoreland, York

Your thoughts?

Back