stockies 1 newby 0

B

billm67

I went out for about three hours today on the Yellow Breeches. I tried out some green wooly buggers, an egg pattern and a beadhead nymph and no bites at all. There were alot of fish being taken in that section on spinning gear....just not dice on anything from me. I have alot to learn. I lost lots of flys....and my patience a few times. I had two guys in boats come down across my line. By the time the second one pulled the same trick I was ready to choke someone. It just wasn't a good day.

Everyone has had their not so great days. I have them all the time. But I always go back for more because I love/live to fish

billm67 wrote:
I went out for about three hours today on the Yellow Breeches. I tried out some green wooly buggers, an egg pattern and a beadhead nymph and no bites at all. There were alot of fish being taken in that section on spinning gear....just not dice on anything from me. I have alot to learn. I lost lots of flys....and my patience a few times. I had two guys in boats come down across my line. By the time the second one pulled the same trick I was ready to choke someone. It just wasn't a good day.

Hey Bill,

Flies are like golf balls - when you play at our level, they're expendable.

Keep your cool and don't let the b**tards wear you down. You can educate some of them, some are hopeless. Chalk it up to stupidity on their part and do your thing.

If you didn't get caught in the rain, you were out fishing......That makes for a good day.

Remember - smile - it makes the b**tards wonder what you are up to!!!

Dave

Bill - Keep at it, man. I remember my first year fly fishing...a lot of tangles, wind knots, tree/stick fish, f-bombs, spooked fish, snapping rod over knee urges...but slowly, it gets better. Soon you'll be slayin' em! It's a tough sport on its own, but even harder when you're surrounded by a bunch of chuckleheads on opening day. Try hitting a low key section of the breeches on a weekday, or the conodoguinet for some smallies just to practice in an open space. You'll get it.

If it was easy, everyone would do it. It's the challenge that makes it fun and rewarding. Only practice an losing flies will make you better.

im a complete newbie at all this too. i went out my second day caught three trout and lost probably 6 flies. went today and didn't catch a darn thing. Just keep trying everybody has their days. and today wasn't mine either

thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I will get out this week after work and hopefully there will be fewer people,

Bill, when it clicks sir, you will be catching them like a master. I hope for nothing but fishing success for the newbies on this board. All of you ask for help and share the "goods" and the "bads" with great enthusiasm that it is infectious.

Remember this a year from now when newbies are asking for your help. :-D

Hey bill the breeches is not always that easy and it is all that much harder with less than thoughtful guys out there bugging you. It will get better, don't give up, this is where most people quit. The first couple years when I went to fly fishing only I skipped the first day because of knuckleheads, mainly because I didn't want one of them to help me be one by saying something I didn't want to say,,,ok I wanted to say but knew I shouldn't.

If ya don't mind traveling to perry county pm me and we can meet up and see if we can get you on some fish. Last evening I got a few, but for about three hours in the afternoon I watched them come and go, no takers, they were tightlipped. Then a light rain started and I smiled.

Perry County Pappy...I would love to come up there and fish with you. You name the time? Where do you fish? One of my favorite rides on the motorcycle is out along Shermans Creek and back up over Wagoner's gap. I always think there must be a lot of good spots there if you know where to get in.

Ok well pm some time we will get together, I am busy this weekend and next with the holiday but any time after that will be fine for me. I do fish Shermans creek some but right now too many others there for me. I have a couple little streams to get out on.

For me, just being on a stream working a fly rod and line is an end in itself. Sometimes not catching anything can be frustrating but when that happens I just change my strategy from catching a trout to practicing the art and studying the surroundings. I just like being out there.

Foxgap239 wrote:
Bill, when it clicks sir, you will be catching them like a master. I hope for nothing but fishing success for the newbies on this board. All of you ask for help and share the "goods" and the "bads" with great enthusiasm that it is infectious.

Remember this a year from now when newbies are asking for your help. :-D
Foxgap I could not agree more. It is refreshing to see new flyfishers with such great attitudes and the level of excitement is wonderful. ALOT of these newbies remind me of myself when I first started.

Back