Stocked Trout

V

VFisher

What is the best flies for stocked trout

I'm a novice but I can direct you to this thread on Woolly Buggers:

Woolly Buggers - Techniques

Two other basic patterns are hare's ear and pheasant tail.

You may want to list some specifics such as stream / location and time of day / year.

I had tremendous success this past spring with an elk hair cadiss and a pheasant tail dropper. This was fishing a medium sized lake. Keep in mine I just started fly fishing this past spring, so my advice may not be the best. Happy fishing!

Any fly that will catch a wild trout will catch a stocked trout. You will probably get advice telling you to buy a bunch of gaudy and colorful flies. You can do this, but i would suggest going easy on the eye popping fly pattersn and stock up on the reliable Hare's Ears, Wooley buggers, Pheasant Tails, Caddis Pupae, Etc.

The silly flies will work well early on, but so will these patterns. And when the fish get acclimated and accustomed to eating natural food itesm, these flies will still work well. The eggs, sucker spawn etc, will catch fish like mad early on but lose their magic as the season wears on. The natural looking flies will be more consistent producers IMO. you will also be prepared to fish for wild trout too.

Kev

Might I add: Bead Head Prince Nymph? For me when nothing else gets their attention, I use one of these and more often than not I will have fish on.

This is a very broad question and the answer pretty much is "all types of trout flies." However, the replies above are good ones. Trout flies are usually categorized as one of the following types: dry flies, wet flies, nymphs, and streamers. The flies described in this thread are mostly specific flies known as "patterns." These patterns, in turn, are categorized by size and this refers to the hook size - for example, a "#14 Hare's Ear" refers to a medium sized fly (#14) from the nymph category. When shopping for flies, if you tell the fly shop the name of the fly and the size they can usually get you that specific fly.
Here in PA, most fishing for stocked trout is done in the springtime for fish that have been stocked recently (this would mean within a month or less). For these fish under the typical conditions, a basic box with a dozen or two flies of the varieties described above will cover most bases.

In my experience once stocked trout have been in the water for a while and have adapted to their environment they take the same flies wild trout do. Those gaudy unusual patterns work until they figure out what real bugs are.

Thanks for the help see you in the spring

Back