Stocked Trout - The Benefits

jifigz

jifigz

As tomorrow is the season opener, an event which usually doesn't mean much to me other than the fact that I am able to access some streams that I rather enjoy fishing that have been off limits for some time, I am unusually excited for it this year. This has to do with the fact that I am taking some people out fishing who are not avid fishermen and stocked trout present a rather easy quarry for them to target. In the debate that rages on about stocking fish over native fish, etc, I would just like to share my enthusiasm for this year's rodeo of stocked trout fishing. It is something I haven't felt in many years as I usually don't fish opening day or, if I do, I am on a wild trout water away from the crowds. Tomorrow, I don't know where I will end up but I will be somewhere with the masses, hopefully not too crowded, but pursuing that dirty hatchery fish that many of us don't hold in high regard.

I am taking my girlfriend out who, admittedly, hasn't fished in many years and has never held a fly rod. I am giving her a cheap Cabela's Three Forks 4 weight paired with an Okuma Sierra and some Scientific Angler's Aircel. A simple, cheap setup that will hopefully lead to her future enjoyment of fly fishing. Tonight I will go through my boxes and make sure I have plenty of sucker spawn, bright pink San Juan worms, gaudy woolly buggers, and any other flies that may attract freshly stocked rainbows.

Even though I don't hold stockies in high regard, it feels wonderful to have this sense of excitement around a season opener which I haven't felt since I was a kid. I think the mere fact of taking others fishing and looking for those "easy fish" will lead me to spend time on streams that I usually don't spend much time on pursuing fish that I usually don't pursue. So, if anyone else is sharing my excitement about tomorrow and the experiences that you may build with loved ones, please feel free to share. The stockie is certainly a great learning tool and hopefully leads to a great appreciation of their wild brethren with the right coaching.

Well said.
I couldn't agree more - here's looking forward to tomorrow!

i too will be going out this year for a bit. Going to a friend's camp in the Snow Shoe area which i have never been to. Don't know which stream he is near but it is stocked. Mostly going for some comradery and refreshments but bringing some san juan worms and sucker spawn as well. The feeling of having a fish on for a change will be nice. I have only caught one dink on Penns in the past 3 outings this year (not great conditions on my trips) so i am hoping for something on the line :)

bdfish wrote:
i too will be going out this year for a bit. Going to a friend's camp in the Snow Shoe area which i have never been to. Don't know which stream he is near but it is stocked. Mostly going for some comradery and refreshments but bringing some san juan worms and sucker spawn as well. The feeling of having a fish on for a change will be nice. I have only caught one dink on Penns in the past 3 outings this year (not great conditions on my trips) so i am hoping for something on the line :)

If it makes you feel any better I have caught 2 trout out of my last 6 trips or so on Honey Creek. Both trout were rainbows too, not even the wild browns. I have only been out for an hour or two each trip, but Honey Creek has been giving me fits for sure. It will feel very nice to (hopefully) catch some stockies tomorrow.

I concur with the positive feelings for the trout opener. Though I won't fish, I hope to drive to a pond that is heavily stocked, mainly for kids. At 8:00 when the horn goes off, a hundred lines plop into the pond. There are a lot of hook-ups and also tangles, but I have never seen anyone get too out of sorts b/c of the tangles. The kids catch lots of fish, which is the point.

However, at under 30 degrees, I will not last very long if I can get there.

Opening day can be about kids and families, which is a good thing, IMO.

On Opening Day, my brother and I always go to the same aldery Crawford County stocked freestone where our Dad always took us on Opening Day. We usually catch enough fish to keep us interested, but the main purposes are tradition and to pay homage to the guy who took the time to teach us to fish all those years ago..

I find it strange how people find stockies to be easier to catch.
I actually have a harder time catching stockies than wild trout.
They don't even know what they're supposed to eat!

Do they sometimes eat any stupid thing you throw at them? Yes.
Do native bookies attack silly panfish flies? Yes.
Do wild browns eat size eight royal coachmen? Yes
Do Atlantic salmon hit a piece of calf tail on a hook? Yes

shakey wrote:

I think that a stocked trout is much more likely to be taken by a ill presented fly as opposed to a wild fish. I think stocked fish can be hard to catch after they have been harassed all day long, but in general I feel that they are easier to catch.

I too will be invading the Commonwealth from the east in pursuit of the dreaded stockie. Gives me an excuse to get away from work and out of the house but most of all to pay homage to a past life spent roaming rivers and streams with my dad and uncle. See you all in the Poconos, I'll be one with the brown fedora.

Remembrances of Rivers Past - E. Schweibert

I go out on the first day of trout every year, it's a tradition for me. I've fished on that day every year since I was 5 years old (a loooong time ago) and don't want to break the string. When I was a kid my Dad took me every year. Back then I remember waking up during the night and staring at the clock, waiting for the morning to come, a lot like Christmas morning. I'm not so anxious now, lol, but always enjoy getting out just the same.

I fish in the winter, but to me the first day is the real start of the season for me. I look forward to the warmer spring weather, great times in the summer and leading into some great fall fishing.

I usually wait to get out in the late morning or early afternoon when things quiet down a bit. This year the afternoon will likely be better given the cold weather anyway.

I fish French Creek close by my home and the stockies are rather easy to catch with a fly rod every year. On a typical first day I usually catch 10 to 20 and sometimes more trout in four or five hours of fishing and release all the fish for another angler to have some fun.

Can't wait!

shakey wrote:

I used to think stockies were difficult to catch, and to some extent they can be if they are pounded with hundreds if not thousands of presentations on opening day. However, they are still hatchery fish with the instinct to eat pretty much anything that hits the surface or floats past them.

I took my young daughter out last Saturday for mentor day in the midmorning. I used a spinner, hooked fish and then let her reel them in as she is too little to cast on her own. I just wanted to get her out and let her handle a few fish. We fished over a pod of trout that had already been fished over as there were boot tracks, dirt from worm containers etc. I seriously had a fish hooked or had a good bite on every cast. We lost several in the transfer of the rod. I think many anglers struggle by not finding where the fish are actually holding or in higher water, failing to get their bait on the bottom.

I have not participated in the opening day zoo for a number of years, but do look forward to taking my kids out each year as they get older. Perhaps we will turn it into a traditional camping trip.

Doubt if I'll go out since I work, however statewide, the water levels look ideal. Good luck to everyone

I am not a stocked trout vs native/wild snob at all. Where I fish now, all the trout are stocked and many hold over through the winter and acclimate to become very different after surviving predators and the winter.

Catching stocked trout on my many canoe trips in West Virginia( mostly spin fishing) was a big part of it along with being on the menu over the camp fire for supper and fried in bacon grease for breakfast.

I grew up fishing on opening day with my father at the FFO section of Clark's Creek many years ago. I loved it.

That said, I will not be fishing this year's opening day so that others can. I hope that every one fishing has a great opening day.

Remember to take along a plastic bread bag, and a Barlow pocket knife.

Traditions must be kept!

I just checked to see if Arcticreels are still made. Sure enough they are, but $79 for a small, $89 for a large. Yowza!

I have a 9:30am tee time. Think my opening day will be next Friday although I was out a few weeks ago.

I have wonderful memories of the opening day of trout season. Like Afish the night before was similar to Christmas Eve. I remember the hushed breakfast (probably Life cereal for me) before we left the house, waiting for a church bell in the town nearby to chime at 8:00am, the anticipation and hopefully a tug on the line. Success! Back to the car for lunch which was always some hearty sandwiches my mother packed for us and usually home made cookies. An Easter egg if the holiday lined up. If it was cold there was a plaid Stanley thermos of hot tea. Reload worms from the box we kept them in. Maybe a few more minnies if we were running low. Fish a few more hours in the afternoon, clean our catch streamside then the triumphant return home with our fish when things went well.

troutbert wrote:
Remember to take along a plastic bread bag, and a Barlow pocket knife.

Traditions must be kept!

Hahaha. I never quite understood the bread bag thing. But, I am sure lots of people will have them tomorrow..

Back