Stocked or wild

How large? The probability of a big brookies story being true varies inversely with the stated size of the brookies.

Unbelievably big. I think 15 inches is what was discussed. As I said, the source is a good one and I'm sure he's not making it up, but the question becomes where these fish came from or if they're truly wild and stream born trout. As you said, pretty hard to imagine in most streams in Pennsylvania.

Last edited:
Unbelievably big. I think 15 inches is what was discussed. As I said, the source is a good one and I'm sure he's not making it up, but the question becomes where these fish came from or if they're truly wild and stream born trout. As you said, pretty hard to imagine in most streams in Pennsylvania pennsylvania.
Its possible but very rare, is it a stream or a lake?

Stocked. I also have found weird large stocked brookies this spring, in a stream not stocked with brookies but known to have wild ones. No, not claiming this to be wild, but its origins are a little perplexing. It happens, fish move!
20230617 110700

Good opportunity for me to embrace my new “heel” board persona.

It’s stocked, and yes, that does make it less of a catch.
Dammit Swattie! But you speak the truth.

Dammit Swattie! But you speak the truth.
I just felt like we have too many nice guys around here right now. Advocating for native Trout management, calling stockers “nice catches”, offering to help newbies and take them out on the water for a day, recommending we just “let them be” or “give them a break” when it’s too hot or too cold, or when the water is too high, or too low, or before the spawn, or during the spawn, or after the spawn, on Tuesdays/Thursdays/every other Friday, etc.

NASCAR works best when it has a Dale Earnhardt, or Kyle Busch, or as of late, Ross Chastain or two around. So does PAFF. I’m painting a white #3 on my truck this weekend.

Last edited:
I just felt like we have too many nice guys around here right now. Advocating for native Trout management, calling stockers “nice catches”, offering to help newbies and take them out on the water for a day, recommending we just “let them be” or “give them a break” when it’s too hot or too cold, or when the water is too high, or too low, or before the spawn, or during the spawn, or after the spawn, on Tuesdays/Thursdays/every other Friday, etc.

NASCAR works best when it has a Dale Earnhardt, or Kyle Busch, or as of late, Ross Chastain or two around. So does PAFF. I’m painting a white #3 on my truck this weekend.
You gone need you one of these

Dorsal fin strongly suggests that fish was formerly a stocked trout. Has been in the wild for at least a year because the fins don’t restore themselves to that extent in just a few months. As for the caudal fin, I can’t say much about it because the first location that I would have checked appears to be compressed by the angler’s palm. The splits on the trailing edge of the caudal fin are inconclusive, as they can happen in the wild, and furthermore they are in conflict with the obviously healed dorsal fin. Those splits show signs of initial healing. Additionally there is a section of untattered and straight edging below the first split. Below that straight edge is more tattering, as is also seen on the trailing edge of the anal fin, but this can happen during spawning or other agonistic behaviors. It’s a very nice fish, stocked at one time in my view, and its condition is indicative of a very good food supply wherever it has been living.
Are you a pathologist? Sounds like an autopsy report.

Are you a pathologist? Sounds like an autopsy report.

Moving forward, for wild v. stocked threads, we’re going to need better pictures of the fish’s anus. A distended anus is a lead pipe lock giveaway of a stockie. Both Ryan and Pat went to great photographic trouble to avoid giving us a clear anus shot. Definitely deliberate.

I can see why, I wouldn’t want to try to make a 1000 mile long left turn faster than him
How times have changed. I never thought of YMCA guys as intimidating.

Beards are much more effective.

Looks native to a hatchery to me.

Moving forward, for wild v. stocked threads, we’re going to need better pictures of the fish’s anus. A distended anus is a lead pipe lock giveaway of a stockie. Both Ryan and Pat went to great photographic trouble to avoid giving us a clear anus shot. Definitely deliberate.
I'm of the opinion that anus pictures would increase credibility in all threads.

I had to submit mine when I signed up for an account. I thought that was the case for everyone?

What is going on at these hatcheries that distends the stockers anus so much?

What is going on at these hatcheries that distends the stockers anus so much?
Prolapse through the vent can be quite common in fish. This can occur secondary to an infective process or due to straining from passing eggs or constipation.

? Maybe it's their diet?

I’d be happy with that fish either way!!

Prolapse through the vent can be quite common in fish. This can occur secondary to an infective process or due to straining from passing eggs or constipation.

? Maybe it's their diet?

Equivalent of roids in humans?

Back