Stimulating Effort?

djs12354

djs12354

Been trying to tie some stimulator's and have been experiencing real problems with proportion control. (My "pan fish flies pile" has gotten larger!)

Moved to a larger hook size (#8) and finally tied a couple that I might actually use on a trout stream.

Comments and criticisms?

Attachments

• Size 8 Stimmie.jpg
    Size 8 Stimmie.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 15
Not bad! I like the tail a bit shorter and the wing extending to about 1/2 point on the tail. Also try to keep the hair from slipping on the sides. I'm being picky. The Stimulator is a milestone pattern that once mastered let's you know that your tying has improved.
If you going to be at the jam, I'm bringing some tying stuff to keep me sane during the rain on Friday. If you there, and if it pours, look me up.
Mike.

That's funny, because I just tied my first stimulator! Size 16 though.

4535977_orig.jpg

follow this tutorial and youll be fine

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=33

I like to take one full turn of hackle in front of the thorax. Seems to finish off the fly better.

I'd go with finer wire for the ribbing. If you lack fine wire, use fine monofilament. It reinforces the palmered hackle just fine.

I agree with a short tail. I try to match the hook gap, but usually end up a bit longer.

My early stimmys had short thoraces, probably 1/5 shank. I later went to a longer thorax, a full 1/3 shank if not a tad longer. They look better to me.

Some I tie with a very full wing with an extra turn or two of hackle, others with a sparse wing and a little less hackle. The silhouette looks buggy either way, and sometimes the extra bulk and floatation isn't necessary.

I think stimmys leave plenty of room for style preferences.

Attachments

• DSC04407.JPG
    DSC04407.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 2
Dj, that's a tough tie and I think you're on the right path. You're getting some good info. keep at it, you're looking good.

Back