Stick-On Eyes

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
There are some cool and realistic stick-on eyes available these days. Of course, it's dubious that such realistic eyes would really enhance fish catching ability, nevertheless there are some tiers and lure designers who believe that a distinct "eye" on a fly or lure does make an impression and draw game fish. Perhaps so.

Whatever the case, for those of us with artsy fartsy fly tying inclinations, some of the new eye designs are fun. I prefer to superglue 'em to a strip of clear or white plastic (as shown) and then tie down the plastic to hold the eye in place. Recently I found these super realistic eyes that made me think they would be suitable for nicely done taxidermy. Made by Flymen Fish Co. they're the best looking fly tying eyes I've seen yet.

Here's a streamer I tied up recently, just to give these eyes a try:

Attachments

• ggr4.JPG
    ggr4.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 8
Nice looking pattern Dave. Brad Buzi sells some nice eyes in 100 packs for cheap I pick some up every year at the fly show. I like to use liquid nails small projects adhesive for the placement of my eyes I apply the glue with craft sticks.

http://www.buzfly.com/

Crafts Adhesive

Dave - thanks for posting this. Your method of gluing the eyes to plastic than tying that down is a neat idea and seems like it would be very durable. I've taken to just covering them with UV resin but don't always like how that turns out.

Perfect timing i've been tying almost the same pattern and been wondering a better way to glue the eyes,Thanks

Back