STH Cassette reels, does anyone have a capacity chart?

TimMurphy

TimMurphy

Dear Board,

It's a pretty simple question. I am wondering if anyone has a line and backing capacity chart for the STH/Cortland/Cabelas/LLBean cassette reels.

I have a size 2 cassette reel that has several lines I don't often use, a size WF6 clear tip intermediate, a WF6 sink-tip, and a WF6 full sinker. I know with those lines on a size 2 cassette there is more than enough room for over 100 yards of 20# Micron, but it has been many years since I filled those spools and I've long since lost the capacity chart for the reel. I am wondering if they will hold a WF7 or even a WF8 and at least 50 -75 yards of backing?

There is nothing I can find on-line about capacity. Can anyone help out?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I’m still waiting for 8-track reels to make a comeback, sorry.

You could always do the reverse load-unload-reload to get the right amount.

You could always do the reverse load-unload-reload to get the right amount.
Dear Tom,

That's the reason for my question. I have about 3 or 4 spools of 100 yards of backing that aren't all connected like in the old days and 3 cassettes to fill with line.

I'd rather not start hacking the backing mid-roll if I don't have to do that.

Some anal-retentive board member has to have the chart?

Regards,

I have an STH cassette reel. I still have the box and the instructions but nothing about reel capacity. However, I also have a Cabelas Blue Ribbon cassette reel. It is just like the STH. Mine is a BR1.The instructions has the capacities so here you are:
BR1 2-5wt. fly line -80yds of 20lb. Backing
BR 2 5-8 wt. fly line -190 yds. of 20 lb. Backing
BR 3 8-10 wt. fly line-260 yds. of 20 lb. Backing
My STH is a reel for 3/4 wt. lines. For a 3 wt. line, only about 1/6 of the capacity of the cassette is backing. Of course I’ve only used this reel on small streams. Hope this helps.

IMG 5439

Attachments

• IMG_5440.jpeg
    IMG_5440.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 6
I have an STH cassette reel. I still have the box and the instructions but nothing about reel capacity. However, I also have a Cabelas Blue Ribbon cassette reel. It is just like the STH. Mine is a BR1.The instructions has the capacities so here you are:
BR1 2-5wt. fly line -80yds of 20lb. Backing
BR 2 5-8 wt. fly line -190 yds. of 20 lb. Backing
BR 3 8-10 wt. fly line-260 yds. of 20 lb. Backing
My STH is a reel for 3/4 wt. lines. For a 3 wt. line, only about 1/6 of the capacity of the cassette is backing. Of course I’ve only used this reel on small streams. Hope this helps.
Dear Dr J,

Thank you. I think I can get a 7 or 8 weight WF floater and the same size intermediate lines on a #2 sized cassette allowing me to use my remaining backing w/o having to cut the 100 yards spools to weird lengths to fill the reel.

Appreciate the help!

Regards,

Back