Step by step of a California Golden Trout pinewood derby car

MathFish

MathFish

So… Given that we are having our current cold snap and that I have the day off and fishing is out of the question for me, I decided to make another trout pinewood derby car. This time I made a California Golden Trout car. Also, the request from tracker12 to explain how I make the cars, I decided to take some photos along the way and explain how I make these silly cars…

I start with a Boy Scouts of America official pinewood derby car kit. I trace the block of wood onto a sheet of paper marking where the axles are for the wheels. Next I sketch the shape of the trout onto the paper being mindful of where the axles are located because the BSA rules dictate that the wheels must be attached to the block using the precut axle locations. This necessitates that the trout have an odd shape for the head (at least it does for the way that I go about doing this…). I also have to include an extended section of wood near the tail of the fish so that the axle can be accommodated.

46930979281_8b9aed9ea7_z.jpg

46878772862_78a4c47b06_z.jpg

46930979171_42e6d9a74e_z.jpg

After I have transferred the lines from my paper sketch onto the block of wood, it’s off to the scroll saw. I was fortunate enough to find a scroll saw with its own stand on the side of the road with a “Free to good home” sign on it this past December, before having this scroll saw, I used a coping saw and cut the design out by hand. The scroll saw has made the cutting process way easier…
I make some cuts on the side of the block for the dorsal fin, anal fin and the axle supports near the tail, then I flip the block on its side and cut out the curve of the fish shape. After I cut the curve out, I tape the “scrap” piece back onto the block using painters tape so that I can complete the cutting to get the head shape, the tail and all of the fins cut.

46878772762_087da0755a_z.jpg

46930979111_6a0b469cec_z.jpg

46878772682_d56583416d_z.jpg

46930979041_1c16cc1be4_z.jpg

46878772602_f482cd5329_z.jpg

Once I am finished with the scroll saw, I use an orbital palm sander with course grit sand paper to form the curves near the head and fins and I get the rough edges from the cuts knocked down with this too. After I feel that I have gotten the fish shaped as much as I can with the orbital palm sander, I use some rasps and sand paper (60 grit, 150 grit, and finally 220 grit) to get the shape finalized and to smooth the fish so that I can begin to paint it.

46930978951_c1b503a6ca_z.jpg

46878772502_5a87c7a0f1_z.jpg

46930978841_a0a1ae4916_z.jpg

Once the sanding is done, I use photos of the trout that I am trying to paint to help guide me on mixing the colors I will need and to help me determine the placement of the markings that I need to paint onto the block. I have used my IPhone to find photos and I have it next to me as I am painting the fish. I use cheap water-based acrylic paint from a craft store and I use cheap paint brushes as well and I just try to pull off the paint scheme as best as I can… I am a self-taught artist, I just figure, if I can pull off what I am trying to do – then great, if I can’t – then, oh well, at least I tried…

For this latest installment to my trout car garage, I used a photo of a California Golden Trout as my main model for the paint scheme. Having never seen one of these trout in person, I had to just go by the photos that I found online.

To begin painting, I decided to lay down a base coat of yellow over the wood.

46930978821_b6d224f34b_z.jpg

46930978801_a360c6418e_z.jpg

Then I mixed an olive green with some sandy brown to make the greenish coloration of the top part of the trout. Afterward, I mixed the greenish color with some dark blue to make the color that I was going to use for the parr markings. I watered down this new color so that it would show the yellow through the parr marks…

46930978761_e0a99e4cc8_z.jpg

46878772302_b1525b70e0_z.jpg

Next, I decided to paint the gill plate edges, the mouth and the eye.

46930978711_9d89875cdb_z.jpg

Afterward, I added on the red markings that were on the gill plate and along the lateral line of the fish.

46930978691_f20240eb06_z.jpg

And then I finished by painting the orange-ish coloration that is on the belly of the trout. I followed this up by painting in the pectoral fin by the gills and the rest of the fins on the underside of the fish. I then painted some lines along the dorsal fins and the tail. After that, I painted in the black spots along the tail and dorsal fin. Next was the black spots that are concentrated near the tail and the sparse patter of spots near the head. I finished up by painting in the lateral line last…
Here is the final paint scheme of the fish. I am pleased with how it turned out.

46930978661_d71a00ed0a_z.jpg

39966984163_6cf0f53f1b_z.jpg

I sat down to start working on this at 8:30 this morning and I put the last bit of paint on it by 12:45… Now I need to get a good coat of lacquer on it and add the wheels…

I’ll post the final photos later tonight if I am able to finish it today.

Thanks for the question tracker12, I wasn’t sure what I was going to do today, and your question gave me a good reason to make another car...

Here is the finalized California Golden Trout car. I sped up the drying process for the lacquer by using a space heater. I stuck a hackle stacker dry fly pattern that I have recently been tying to finish it off. I also included a photo of it with the wild tiger car and a golden rainbow that I made after the wild tiger but before this one.

46931986521_c57cbbe3ed_z.jpg

39967578273_1e456e139b_z.jpg

46017893365_1e92478b5c_z.jpg

Well, that's it for now... I managed to squander a perfectly good day making something completely useless... But I had fun doing it!

It actually took me just as long to figure out how to embed photos as it took me to paint the trout, so since I figured that out, I guess the day wasn't a total loss.

What a wonderful thread!

Obviously, your pinewood trout have some fans around here and seeing the process step by step is really neat to see.

Some cold day motivation. Thanks!

Looks a hell of a lot better then a lot of the taxidermy trout I see out there. You have a real talent and maybe a small business. I would pay for a piece of art like that....well I would prefer it without wheels but they are very nice.

Nice job, looks good!!

Here a real one I caught in the Golden Trout Wilderness in CA from 2015.

Attachments

• 0D81FE07-FE70-4C4C-A50E-9E64E5E0EC93.jpeg
    0D81FE07-FE70-4C4C-A50E-9E64E5E0EC93.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 9
Love the dry fly in the mouth. Nice touch!

So who races this derby car? You or your child? Or is it a mantel piece?

Millsertime, thanks for the compliment. The car was made just for fun, it will not see any track time. When my son was in cub scouts, his pack had an “outlaw class” for dads who wanted to go a bit over the top with the cars. I made a Brookie car for one of those races and posted it here: Brookie car

Since then I made a Brown, Rainbow, Tiger, Golden Rainbow, and this latest one... I only raced the Brookie and the Brown. I helped my son make his cars in a theme that he wanted (they weren’t fish...) and I did my best to let him do the bulk of the work on those cars. I just went a little crazy with making them for myself afterward and I now make them just for the fun of it not for races.

I do have to make some sort of display for theses cars though, I have them piling up on my tying desk and it’s getting cramped...

Acristickid, awesome golden! I have to make a long term plan of getting out to California to see if I can catch one of those beauties. Whereabout in California did you catch yours?

Hopback, thanks for the compliment too! My wife has been telling me that I need to try and carve a fish instead of making more cars now that I’ve made six... I need to get some practice using a Dremel tool so that I can do some better work with shaping the fins for an actual carving. Also I need to figure out what wood is better suited for a carving too. One of these days...

Put some oval shaped wheels on it, and tie a line to it. When you pull it across the floor, it will like it's swimming ... well, sideways. ;-)

Or you could leave the wheels off and sell them as wall art. Just don't try to figure out how much you made an hour, it might be depressing. ;-)

That was intended as a joke as well, and not an insult. I'm just saying it looks like you put a lot of time into them.

First bamboo rod I rebuilt and sold, I probably made pennies an hour.

I also did it for the fun of it, but I didn't like how it casted so I sold it on Ebay.;-)

Seriously, nice work.

Too funny FarmerDave and no insult taken!

I’ve had a few friends say that I should sell them and that “you could make a lot of money” from them... But I simply can’t wrap my head around the idea that anyone would want to buy a fish-car... I do realize how ridiculous these things are, so much so that I often laugh about it with my wife. But, for some silly reason I enjoy it.

I always tell my wife that I’m not sure what she did to get stuck with a fool like me!

Very cool thread, indeed. I enjoyed reading your step by step as I remember helping my son crank out quite a few pinewood derby cars many moons ago. Basswood is a highly preferred carving wood if you are really interested in doing fish carvings. Many decoy makers use Basswood because of its workability. Keep up the good work!

Excellent work MathFish. Very cool.

FarmerDave wrote:
Put some oval shaped wheels on it, and tie a line to it. When you pull it across the floor, it will like it's swimming ... well, sideways. ;-)

That is funny and brilliant at the same time! Leave it to an engineer, farmer, beekeeper...

Great stuff, MathFish!

greenghost wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

That is funny and brilliant at the same time! Leave it to an engineer, farmer, beekeeper...

Great stuff, MathFish!

Well, you might have to leave out the beekeeper part from now on.

As you know, last winter I had 3 hives, and they all survived the winter. First time I had 100% survival.

Had 4 hives this year heading into winter (caught a swarm). Three dies by mid December, with only the new swarm hive still active. Well, with the warm weather this weekend, I checked the remaining hive, and it was silent.

First time I had 100% failure.

A few years back, wife said I am not allowed to buy more bees. But if I don't tell her... ;-)

"Look hon, I caught a swarm in this neat little box!"

It might work.;-)

Then again, I wore out my honey extractor last fall, so maybe I am done.

MathFish wrote:
Too funny FarmerDave and no insult taken!

I’ve had a few friends say that I should sell them and that “you could make a lot of money” from them... But I simply can’t wrap my head around the idea that anyone would want to buy a fish-car... I do realize how ridiculous these things are, so much so that I often laugh about it with my wife. But, for some silly reason I enjoy it.

I always tell my wife that I’m not sure what she did to get stuck with a fool like me!

I was kind of serious about leaving the wheels off and sell them as wall art. Even as is, they have a cool primitive look. That also is not meant as an insult, it's a style which might actually sell better than something more refined.

If you can convince your wife to sell them at craft shows, you would be good to go. :lol:

Hell, I'd buy one. Brook trout of course. BTW, since Brook Trout have a square tail, it should be less expensive, right?;-)

I was struggling for the right word when I said primitive. The correct term is probably folk art. What can I say. I'm not an artist.

Sorry about that.

No offense taken again FarmerDave. You’ll have to do better than that to offend me!

Not that “primitive” was a bad way to describe the style, but I do think you’re right that folk art is a good way to describe these cars. And, I guess since you said that you would buy one, there clearly is an audience that is out there that I was unaware of. :) And I am flattered to hear that you like them that much! I do intend to redo my Brookie car one of these days and maybe I’ll make two when I do so I can send one of them your way.

I am currently trying my hand at carving a replica of a brook trout that I caught at Linn Run this past summer. I can honestly say that trying to carve a replica of a trout is WAY more difficult than making a trout pinewood derby car! So, because I am currently experiencing trying to carve a trout versus a trout-car, I definitely agree that the trout-cars fall more aptly into the “folk art” category...

I will post the new project if I feel that it turns out good enough to share... I’m a bit nervous about pulling this one off!

Back