Steelhead Trip

Makee

Makee

I am planning on making my first ever steelhead trip, i am looking at Jan 10, 11 weather permitting. I am looking at the Salmon river. I had a few questions.

Just bought an 8 weight and want to give it a shot.

Is it still a good time to go, will there still be fish to catch?

Will egg patterns still work? what other flies should i try?

Any help would be awesome, thanks!

yes there should still be steelhead. they should be in there until spring when they return to the lake. I would suggest giving whitakers fly shop in pulaski a call. they also have a good website with stream info. they should be able to give you the best current info on flies at that time of the year and could likely have them ready for you when you pull into town. I thought id be using egg patterns but caught all but one with stonefly nymphs. I did just that on my first trip to erie for steel with lake erie ultimate anglers. caught a lot of fish- lost even more. have another week long trip on the books for this year. be warned it is addictive… good luck!

Whitakers is good advice. Ask about fishing the fly zone.Good luck.

Yes there will be steelhead around to catch.

Yes your egg patterns will work...they work all year long. Get some black and brown stoneflies, caddis larvae style patterns, brassies tied big. Prince nymphs are good as well. Just make sure the flies are on 2x strong wire.

Upper River and lower fly zone which is in the upper river area, typically get hit pretty hard all year long so the fish might be a bit beat up, but there will be more numbers of fish in that area.

If you want dime bright chrome fish the lower river or Douglaston which is pay to play.

Dress warm and be safe!!
Frank

Thanks for all the help, i changed my dates, that weekend was around 5 degrees.. chose to go this weekend with is being 20 - 30 degrees. Wish me luck

Good luck man! I'm going out myself tomorrow but for some wild brown action. Tight lines!!!

Back