steelhead streamers

bowmandjk

bowmandjk

Since the creeks are so low and clear i deceided to ty up some hackle flash streamers when the rains come these really take steelies ,give them a try bead head(i use pink,black and gold) maribou tail and wrap and stroke back the hackle ( i use hackle flash in silver & uv or palmer chenille in med. pink or white & pearl) the later is a little shorter than the flash hackle strands

Attachments

• elk @ rick rd 007.jpg
    elk @ rick rd 007.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 18
Thats a nice looking fly..I would imagine the smallies would like it too.

They look alot like a shiner when they are stripped

Looks a lot like my favorite streamer for the tribs:

Attachments

• estazbugger1.jpg
    estazbugger1.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 3
I tie one similar to that too. But it is all marabou and the shank is wrapped with easter grass. So just a marabou tail, and marabou tied down in 3 or 4 spots by the eye of the hook. Very simple. I catch a lot of bass on them and a handfull of trout. Marabou looks so life-like in the water. Looks great!

I have found for trout to make them a bit smaller and shorten the tail.

there was one tied like that for the fly swap the grey one .... i had a steelie on with that that flay has great action in the water while swung or stripped can you post the reicpe for that bowman

have to have these if your fishing the tribs...Erie Shiners.

and gobies/sculpins

Attachments

• 11-17-09 erie shiner 004_thumb.jpg
    11-17-09 erie shiner 004_thumb.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 4-30-07 044_thumb1_thumb.jpg
    4-30-07 044_thumb1_thumb.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 2
sandfly wrote:
and gobies/sculpins

Yessir,
Here's a Lake Erie steelhead diet summary.

http://www.fws.gov/Midwest/Fisheries/31-AnalysisofthedietofsteelheadtroutinLakeErie/Analysis_of_steelhead_trout_diet_in_Lake_Erie.pdf

Sand - what's the recipe on those shiner flies? They appeared to be tied "Clouser style" with a mylar underbody. I'm looking to tie up a few!

ok so i took ed's crystal bugger and added a zonker strip not to toot my own horn but man this thing looks nice and wow who would have thought my cell phone takes great pix comments and critisism are welcome...

Attachments

• bunny bugger.jpg
    bunny bugger.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2
Flip,

The only comment I can offer is that it's not good to lash the strip down with thread. As soon as fish teeth hit it, it's going to break.

I'd recommend tying it like a slump buster. Tie a piece of wire in and lash the strip down a few times and work your way up to the eye to tie the wire off. Kind of like this, except I use the wire to lash it down.

http://ozarkanglers.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9730

Nice! I like it. We'll have to have a motel tying session up there.

Looking forward to fishing with you again!

i thought that it being gsp would be better than regular thread....my scissors barely cut it lol i have something like the slumpbuster tied up too but no collar and wire

flipnfly wrote:
i thought that it being gsp would be better than regular thread....my scissors barely cut it lol i have something like the slumpbuster tied up too but no collar and wire

In that case, I'm sure it'll be fine. I still prefer to use the wire in that situation, just because it's bullet proof compared to even the toughest thread.

Nice fly.

i know and understand where you're comming from i appriceate the comment
yes me too ed im still wiating on st croix to send me my rod back hopefully it's really soon i think im going to call the fly shop this week to see if they heard anyhting ... i have got the itch real bad i dont think ill be bringin my tyiong stuff too much to lugg around as soon as i get some more cones ill tie you a few ed

dano wrote:
sandfly wrote:
and gobies/sculpins

Yessir,
Here's a Lake Erie steelhead diet summary.

http://www.fws.gov/Midwest/Fisheries/31-AnalysisofthedietofsteelheadtroutinLakeErie/Analysis_of_steelhead_trout_diet_in_Lake_Erie.pdf

That's a very interesting article... well the part I read.

If you scroll down to the charts it shows the stomach contents of them.

For June, it shows the same amount of mayflies, ladybugs, and terrestrial beatles as emerald shiners... yes a shiner is a much bigger meal, but each one is a take on a fly....

GET OUT YOUR DRY FLIES FELLAS!!!

For June, it shows the same amount of mayflies, ladybugs, and terrestrial beatles as emerald shiners... yes a shiner is a much bigger meal, but each one is a take on a fly....

GET OUT YOUR DRY FLIES FELLAS!!!
kitty-relevance.gif

try keeping a size 18 bwo afloat and drag free while 50 people are chucking and ducking across your line lol

Ryguyfy............man that's the spirit , i haven't been able to accomplish it yet but taking one of those big boys on a dry fly just gotta be fun and i know a few who have done it so.................

Had 1 chase a mouse pattern is as close as I got.

Back