steelhead/salmon rod and reel advice

Have you looked in to Hexagraph, you can pick up a blank for 400.00 or finished rod for 800.00. They make a nice 10' 7/8.

Joe E

Well the budget is tight for this setup. Too many dollars spent elsewhere. Right now trout in our house if we actually ate one would cost $1000/lb. Got a great deal on a TFO ProSeries. 10' 9 wt, thanks to a forum friend. The boy is liking the rod. The reel needs to be more but I'd say to keep it fun at $200 or under. At least Brendas and Whitakers are inexpensive bunks. If you fish Salmon River in Pulaski NY you should have heard of them both. Definitely need an excellent drag system and plenty of reel to take it to the backing. I've seen a couple of good recommendations which I will pass on.

Another almost silly question. Any of you guys have problems floating away in the current? Any solid footing advice for us moon walkers. What do you do when your body dimensions don't add weight to keep you at the bottom. I was thinking Krispie Kreams! We're not talking little and neither of us are overweight. I'm 5'8" and my son is 6'3" and he is muscular. This is quite an issue when you fish strong water. I think tungsten in our wading shoes wouldn't be a good idea. LOL!

Hi wetnet - Glad to see things worked out for you guys on the rod thing. That beast is probably gonna need a pretty hefty reel to balance things out. Here's one that might fit the bill, match the rod, and is pretty cheap:

TFO Prism - the biggest one.

As far as adding weight goes - you could pitch a tent in a Krispy Kreme shop, and it just wouldn't matter. ;-) As far as Wes goes - he's got the built in answer - muscle. Providing you've got good grip (ie. studded soles), the fatigue factor is the worst.

I've fished with some really big and strong guys, and they don't fare all that much better. Keeping your body turned sideways to the current, and using your wading staff to prop you up adds to your wading time. Try to keep an easy escape route close at hand - sometimes you just gotta pass up the best water for safety's sake.

Watch the water flows up on the Salmon River - when they release water, it changes things really quick! Another thing to watch out for is sheet ice flows. Pay attention to your surroundings, and if you see a piece of "calm water" coming, get out of the way!

H.A.

Thanks but I'm staying out of that water for a bit. I'm still not fully recovered from back surgery but still getting stonger everyday. Fishing actually helps the most. That needing to maintain balance is hardcore pilates. Actually Doughnut grease is a no go. I'd really float away and I'm ot fancying leaving a oil slick! LOL!

It's really a matter of not wading where you can't comfortably go. Studded boots are a must.

All of HA's advice is good. I would add that you should always angle your path upstream.

wetnet,
I had back surgery this past March and am in the physical therapy stage of recovery.
I also fished the SR for a couple of days last week.
Early in the season offers less fish but also less crowded water on the easy access points.
The outflow was 350cfs. With studded felt boot, added strength and flexibility from PT and a few pain pills, I felt fine for about the first three hours. From there, I had to take breaks and sit down every hour. If the outflow would have been closer to 750 CFS, I would have stayed home.
Landing fish was no problem and the half dozen kings that got too far down were purposely broken off.
When the fishing is good, my back doesn't seem to bother me as much.
I use a Loomis GL3 9ft-9wt. for salmon and mostly 7wts for Lake Erie. A 10 ft 8wt could adequately cover both.
The reel is a high end Ross Momentum. My reels seem to get dunked a lot so I needed one with a great drag system.
Actually, any reel with a drag that can stop a truck would be fine. I see quite a few kings being brought in with SA and Pflueger large arbor reels.
Good luck with your recovery.

G.Loomis is an awesome rod. Don't hear allot of raves here on the sight but I can't say from 1st hand experience since I don't own one and probably couldn't send line to do them justice. My son has one and loves it. This rod and reel package is to be shared. I bought the rod, my son bought the reel. We ended up with a TFO Pro Series 10' 9 wt with a mid-arbor Battenkill reel. Bottom line with line and backing under $400.

Back