steelhead/salmon rod and reel advice

wetnet

wetnet

Looking for a not high end but good quality 10' 9 weight rod for steelhead and such. They have a Old Lefty TFO... anybody tried it out? Also a something in better reel than the rod advice. Something with a great drag system. The steelies and salmon are waiting!!

Are you talking west coast or Lake Erie?
jest curious

Lamson Velocity reels can be had on closeout which is a great reel for the money. The bearings are so easy to switch out should you have a problem with it. Look around, there's a bunch of reels on closeout or sale priced right now.

I've seen quite a few rods on closeout or on sale as well, but you will first be limited by the 10 ft rod if you're hoping for something on sale. Go to your local shop and cast a few different models. Sage Launch is on sale right now, but I've not seen a 10ft model, only 9's. They do have a 9 wt model though.

The best reel for the money is a Loomis Venture, IMO. $100 flat for an outstanding, tough reel. It actually looks good too.

I don't pay too much attention to the rod. It's basically a fish fightin stick.

Check Sierra Trading Post, big sale on tackle.

I would not recommend a 9wt for Lake Erie steel. 8wt max and I prefer a 7 wt. Many use a 6, also. But if you already have a 9, it'll do.

What tippet do you use for steelhead?
7X would be strong enough…?

skybay wrote:

Most guys will fish 0X-3X depending on the condition.
I have gone as low as 5X on rare occassions, but 4X is typically my lower boundary. They are big, strong fish. Going to light will typically stress they fish too much.

Start heavy, and work lighter from there if needed.

I use 2 to 3 x mono leader with flouro tippet.

I have been building two rods for people lately that seem to really hit the mark for Erie steelhead. The first is a 10' 8 wt. 2 piece built on a blank from Pacific Bay. It is really more like a strong 7wt which is perfect. I put long fighting butts on them of 4.5 inches and contour them so they rest under your forearm perfectly. For the money this is a great rod. For the ultimate rod I use a Winston Biix blank 11' 7wt. I like it with a longer fighting butt of 5.5" and a long spey type handle of 14". It can be fished as a one handed rod but can be cast two handed like a spey rod if you get on some bigger water like the grand or the cat. This one is a little on the expensive side though.

skybay wrote:

7x tippet, depending on the manufacturer, is usually around the strength of 2-3lb test. These fish typically run from 5-10lbs average. The strength they have is unparallel to most trout you normally catch too. I have been going up to catch steelies for a few years now and typically use 4x, which is 6lb. I had not had too many issues with break offs, but am going to try to take it up to a 3x, 7.5-8lb this year. The only time I have heard of people using that small of test line on steelhead is if they are using a long noodle rod, which the rod takes most of the battle from the fish. It just doesn't seem logical to use that small of a tippet to fight these fish. Especially when they're in there a while, you're using a few split shot, and sometimes some weighted flies, so even with that a smaller tippet size just isn't managable. I would suggest going as low as 4x, but trying it out and seeing what works best for you. Just go up and fish, you'll have a blast and will be addicted to steel forever!

Start with 0x and go down to 3x. If you have to go below 3x- go home.

I will ask this question again over here as we are on the topic now.

Does anybody have any input on blood knots when fishing for steelhead? I tie a good blood knot (maybe I need to tie more over on each side), but seem to have failures with steelhead. However, I stopped using them completely and just tie straight onto my leader.

Also, I have learned that it is imperative to tie a fly on with a trilene knot rather than an improved clinch knot.

I use Frog's Hair BTW and fish 3X at the smallest.

BJ,

I honestly haven't seen either thing you have mentioned. My blood knots don't fail when fishing steel, and clinch knots seem to work fine. I use 5 wraps for both (which means 10 for a blood knot) That said, I prefer palomar knots when possible for tippet to hook connections.

Perhaps your issue with blood knots stems from mixing materials? There could be problems with tying fluoro to mono. Are you adequately wetting your knots when tying them? I occasionally forget to do that in cold water, but it's very necessary.

I generally fish 2 or 3X tippet connected to the leader with a tripple surgeon's knot. Tippet to fly is usually an Orvis knot. The only time I have trouble is when I don't check everything after each hook-up. If you loose a fish you need to check all your knots and tippet before you continue fishing.

I don't like to spread negativity about any product unless I am certain that it fails to meet requirements of the job but since you mentioned Frog Hair... I build my own leaders from Amnesia Butt, Maxima cameleon mid section, and Maxima Ultra Green, Frog Hair or Rio Flouroflex for the tippet. I use blood knots for everything and never have anything fail on me except when I have used Frog Hair for the tippet. Maybe it is me maybe not. Since you said you use frog hair it got me to thinking that maybe frog hair is not that compatable with other materials as JayL has suggested below. Please don't take this as Frog Hair sucks. I just know that I have had problems with it in this regard and it is highly possible I just don't understand how to work with it.

While I've never used it personally myself, I have heard of many different people having an issue with frog hair attached to another brand of line. I've heard it's harder than normal mono so when you cinch your knots it can potentially cut through the other line.

I've heard of people having the same issue with fluoro but I haven't experienced that yet either.

As far as knots I use blood, double surgeons, improved clinch and trilene knots when I fish for steel and don't usually have any issues.

I've never had a problem with the regular Frogs Hair...just the flouro. It cuts right thru.

One piece of advice I've said many times is make sure your reel has a "click". My 8wt does not have one and it is the only drawback I have. It's tough to tell how much line the fish are taking off and it also sounds real cool lol. The click will help out dramatically in telling when the fish is ending his run and when you need to apply pressure again. Just a bit of info from my experiences.

Back