Steelhead Rod and Reel

Char_Master

Char_Master

Going to my local field and stream tomorrow evening to (hopefully) pick up a new Steelhead setup for myself for this Fall/Winter season. As weird as this sounds, I've been fly fishing for five years and this will be the first time I've purchased myself a setup. My first fly rod and reel, a 3wt, (which I still use) was a gift from my pap (my mentor) five years ago and my dad's friend gave me a very nice "heavier" setup (6wt) a year after that. After my pap passed last spring, I inherited his massive stockpile of 2-6wt trout rods and click'n'pawl reels so I've been set for a while.

However, he wasn't much of a Steelhead fishermen, not one at all, actually, so I don't think I want to try to rely on my 9' 6wt with a click and pawl reel for massive, feisty rainbows that run like freight trains. I've been fishing for Steelhead for the last two years, but have only been successful trolling on Lakes Erie and Ontario from my boat with spoons and flasher-flies. I really tried to get in to tributary fishing for them last Fall but 8-9 total days on the PA creeks yielded only two fish for me, both of which got off because my rod wasn't heavy enough and the reel was too rigid. I'm hoping that with the tremendous amount of research I've been doing since last Fall on Great Lakes Steelheading that I'll be able to have a more successful season on the creeks this year, so I want to have the proper equipment for landing these fish when I do manage to hook up with one.

Anyway, sorry about the rant. My main question here is does anyone have suggestions for a good rod (preferably 9-10' and 8wt) and a nice, smooth, sealed-drag arbor reel for Great Lakes steelhead on Lake Erie (and possibly Lake Ontario, later on) tributaries? My budget is looking like a total of $250-500 for a nice, solid setup that will last for many years. In addition, if you guys have any tips, suggestions, pointers, recommendations, etc. about anything from fly selection and lines/leaders/tippets to books and anything else pertaining to Great Lakes migratory Trout and Salmon for someone who is just starting to tributary fish for them, my ears are open!

Thank you all for the help and have a great fall season!
-Sean

If you scroll down 20 threads, this was just talked about.

Thanks, just read through the thread and it was pretty helpful. One thing I will say, is that I'd like this setup to be versatile. The primary purpose for this rod will be Steelhead and Browns on Lake Erie Tribs, but I also plan to use it for Trout and Salmon on Lake O Tribs as well as for Pike in PIB and Carp in my home waters in SWPA.

Looking at the selection that field and stream has, I'm thinking either a Redington since I've never had a bad experience with their rods, or a "lower" priced Sage, but more thinking Redington as of now. As for the reel, the sage 3200 seems pretty nice, but I'm open to suggestions for both.

I do like the Orvis Clearwater as well, but with the shops around me, I'd have to order one online since no stores around here within a reasonable distance carry Orvis rods and reels, (they really need to fix that bridge soon, for those of you also from Pgh who know what I'm talking about...)

go with a 10' 7wt rod and a reel sized similar to a lamson size 3.

For a rod St Croix, Sage, Scott should all have something close to your price range. Lamson should have a reel in your price range. You could probably get a Ross Cimarron as well. You really don't need a strong drag for steelhead. It is more important that it is smooth and not going to lock up. All of the reels I use for steelhead are clickers.

If you want to go used, you open yourself up to some higher end (but used) rods and reels.

I use a 8' glass and a clicker for them all the time. you have a good setup with a 9' 6wt.

If you live in Pittsburgh, doesn't the Orvis store at the Galleria carry Clearwater rods?

Yeah, usually I tell people to buy a better rod and go cheap on a reel, it's just a place to store line. But when it comes to steelhead, I do a complete 180 on that. At least for the PA tribs, they are small, long casting is not necessary. But you need a rod with some backbone and a reel with a smooth drag.

For PA steelhead, a 5 wt is acceptable but very light. A 6wt is better and a 7 wt probably ideal. But again, it's about backbone under weight of a fish, not under weight of a fly line. So a 5 wt with some backbone to it might be better than a noodle of a 6 wt.

For salmon/steel mix, I'd probably advise an 8 wt, really.

A soft tip is a help to protect tippets. I know, I know, stiff arse rod with a soft tip. Casts like junk. But again, for steel, casting is a secondary consideration.

Longer is better. While the casting may not be far, the streams are in general WIDE open in regards to surrounding vegetation, and getting a good drift is vitally important for catching chrome. A long rod helps lift line off of water. No less than 9 ft. 10 or 11 ft is ideal.

For the reel...

Large arbor is good - pick up line quickly if a fish runs at you.

Smooth drag is an absolute must. It needs to have some power, but only enough to crank down to 2xish tippet, which most reels can handle. Smoothness is really the key. You do not want it to be "catchy".

pcray1231 wrote:
Yeah, usually I tell people to buy a better rod and go cheap on a reel, it's just a place to store line. But when it comes to steelhead, I do a complete 180 on that. At least for the PA tribs, they are small, long casting is not necessary. But you need a rod with some backbone and a reel with a smooth drag.

For PA steelhead, a 5 wt is acceptable but very light. A 6wt is better and a 7 wt probably ideal. But again, it's about backbone under weight of a fish, not under weight of a fly line. So a 5 wt with some backbone to it might be better than a noodle of a 6 wt.

For salmon/steel mix, I'd probably advise an 8 wt, really.

A soft tip is a help to protect tippets. I know, I know, stiff arse rod with a soft tip. Casts like junk. But again, for steel, casting is a secondary consideration.

Longer is better. While the casting may not be far, the streams are in general WIDE open in regards to surrounding vegetation, and getting a good drift is vitally important for catching chrome. A long rod helps lift line off of water. No less than 9 ft. 10 or 11 ft is ideal.

Large arbor is good - pick up line quickly if a fish runs at you.

Smooth drag is an absolute must. It needs to have some power, but only enough to crank down to 2xish tippet, which most reels can handle. Smoothness is really the key. You do not want it to be "catchy".

^ Great post on SH outfits.

Only one thing to add > a sealed drag and bearing in your reel is important because your reel may seize up when the temps are below freezing.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. With all of the species I plan on using this setup for, I think an 8wt is ideal, it might be a bit overkill for PA's average steelhead in the creeks, but I also plan to throw streamers with it along the shoreline and use it for larger NY Steelhead and Salmon along with Northern Pike and Carp. That being said, the rod should be comfortable for both roll casting nymphs in the creeks and long-distance streamer casting on the big waters.

What do you guys think of a 9' 8wt Redginton Path rod (mod-fast action) or a 9' 8wt Redington Torrent (fast action) with a Sage 3200 reel and WF8F line? Would that work well for both creek nymphing and lake streamer casting?

To cover all the bases you said I would recommend you stay with an 8wt. The funny thing about fly fishing is the more you do it the more specific your tools get. You could easily have 3-4 rods for all the fish you named.

I actually fish a 10' 7wt rod for steel in Lake Erie but wouldn't mind moving to a 10-11' 6wt. They're really not that big in Erie. 23-30" 4-6lbs is 90%+ of the fish you'll encounter up there. I've caught them on 4x tippet without too much difficulty as well. Lake Ontario fish are a different story and I would use anywhere from an 8-10wt up there depending on what you're targeting.

Learn how your gear performs and learn how to fight a fish. Once you learn that you'll land a whole lot more fish. Specific to Erie steelhead I prefer a moderate action rod. It helps protect the lighter tippets you have to use when the water is low. Unless you're tossing streamers in the early season you really don't ever need to cast more than 20-30ft and that is a rarity. High sticking or indicators are mainly what you're doing so no need to cast too far.

Come to the Steelhead JAM on the weekend of November 4th. You'll learn so much more by fishing with people who have experience up there than anything you're told or read on here. Lots of great people on this board as well to show you the ropes.

FWIW I have used a 9"6wt for the past 20 years. I have used my Orivs battenkill LA for the last 15 and use very little drag. Basically it picks up line very well and it is fast but my palm is my drag. I have used 8wts and feel they are simply too club like, a 6 with a fighting but is ideal.

Just got the setup a couple hours ago and, at least in my hand, it feels great both in terms of weight and castability/flex. In the end I went with a 9'0" 8wt Redington Crosswater with a Sage 3280 reel and rio gold WF8F line. If it's anything like my 3wt Redington Pursuit it should handle like a dream on the water and the reel is smooth beyond belief so I shouldn't have to worry about it locking up like the reel I use with my 9' 6wt rod. Can't wait to break it in this weekend, dead drifting nymphs and bouncing streamers in the creeks and launching larger streamers out in the lake if waves/winds cooperate.

ryguyfi, if I can fit it in to my schedule I'm going to try to make at least a day or two of the Steelhead jam. Is there a detailed link for it, all I could find was the date?

Char_Master wrote:
Just got the setup a couple hours ago and, at least in my hand, it feels great both in terms of weight and castability/flex. In the end I went with a 9'0" 8wt Redington Crosswater with a Sage 3280 reel and rio gold WF8F line. If it's anything like my 3wt Redington Pursuit it should handle like a dream on the water and the reel is smooth beyond belief so I shouldn't have to worry about it locking up like the reel I use with my 9' 6wt rod. Can't wait to break it in this weekend, dead drifting nymphs and bouncing streamers in the creeks and launching larger streamers out in the lake if waves/winds cooperate.

ryguyfi, if I can fit it in to my schedule I'm going to try to make at least a day or two of the Steelhead jam. Is there a detailed link for it, all I could find was the date?

Here is the SH Jam Thread

I'm sure more details on meet-ups will be forthcoming as the date draws nearer.

Not too bad of a weekend. Went 1 for 5 Saturday plus another 4-5 takes on leech patterns and small nymphs. Landed a 16-17" fish and one I lost right at my boot was close to 30". Better start to the season than last year!

Are you snapping fish off or just having them toss the hook?

3 of the ones I lost spit the the hook and one chewed through the tippet (5X) because the fly was so far down its mouth. All of the takes without hookups I had were on the same two stonefly patterns that would start to stick in to their mouth and then pop out as soon as they shook their heads.

4 or 5x is appropriate with where the stream levels are right now. I usually don't go down to 5x. But when the water is up you can go up to 0x depending on clarity. If you spend all day for a few hook ups, don't let your gear fail you once it happens. Turn their heads towards the bank using side pressure, get a solid hook set, and let them do their thing if they want to run. The more fish you fight the easier it gets to knowing what to do. Most of all, keep having fun!

Back