Steelhead nets

Acristickid

Does anyone have a recommendation on a steelhead net?

What have you used and how is it working out?

Definitetly helps landing steelhead.

Thanks Paul

I just beach them. I can;t imagine trying to utilize another thing im my other hand with something pulling that hard. I also haven't seen a net that big with a soft netting. Not they aren't out there, I just haven't seen one.

Economy-Gaff-col.gif

Jay, being that I only landed 2 the other week and the limit is such, that would have sufficed. However I am hoping for a little more success on the next trip which would make that difficult to utilize.

Hey, you better go down and get teach those broad street bums how to finish a game. I'm tired of taking crap from a bunch of flightless bird followers out here.

"I just beach them." TG- That is much easier said than done. I too just beach'em (but their is a vast difference in hooked than landed for me) Had a gentleman offer (thanks Latrobe guy) to net my fish and it was much easier. Fishing with several people is what I was thinking with the net idea.

Tom,

Workin on it. They are playing zero defense. They are scoring regularly, but the secret is to prevent the other team from scoring more... I think they'll catch on eventually.

acristickid wrote:
Had a gentleman offer (thanks Latrobe guy) to net my fish and it was much easier. Fishing with several people is what I was thinking with the net idea.

That is the best way, to have someone else net one for you...of course I also have seen netters screw it up for guy with the fish and had to listen to that guy swear at the netter for the rest of the day for losing his fish. :lol: :lol:

Get a good pair of gloves and tail them. Get them in close, and grab a hold! If you're still stuck on the net I recommend a good sized catch and release net. I have one I use for trout that is 12" in diameter but with a rubber netting which is FANTASTIC. I just bought it this year and I will never go back to anything else. Ever get sick of having your 2nd fly get hooked in the netting and takes you 5 mintues to get it out before you start fishing again after releasing a fish... well the rubber netting fixes that problem plus is a bit easier on the fish itself. If you're looking for a good one for steelhead, find one you can attach to a net zinger or magnet to your back so it's not intruding in your cast. It always helps to have a buddy when fishing for steelies... the crouds are already there, might as well have someone to share the time with and help net your fish!

Ryan

This is the net I just got for steelies.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0001356312740a&navCount=1&podId=0001356&parentId=cat20554&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20431-cat20554_TGP&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20554&hasJS=true

I bought the larger size. It landed several steelhead in the 25-28 inch range without much problem and it breaks down and has a clip for your wading belt. Watch out for that though because I lost my first one after only netting one steelhead (the walk back) in it.

It has the finer meshing so it's not very harsh on the fish but is a bit slow in the water for a fast scoop because of it. Either way I'm pleased with it and it worked well for me.

I agree on the beaching them thought process. That's how we bring them in if the net happens to be a bit up or down stream from us. You just have to make sure not to horse the fish in hard as beaching tends to put stress on the setup.

If you are going to use a net though, simply make sure it is large in size, although easy to carry, with larger size netting, and a steel frame because you should be hauling in 5 to 10 pound steel head. Of course the best method still is bring them close enough to shore, pin them down, remove the fly, and let them go back to where they came from, so the next person can enjoy the same moment of fun as you have a steely ripping line off your reel.

acristickid wrote:
"I just beach them." TG- That is much easier said than done. I too just beach'em (but their is a vast difference in hooked than landed for me) Had a gentleman offer (thanks Latrobe guy) to net my fish and it was much easier. Fishing with several people is what I was thinking with the net idea.

Yeah that is what we do. We have one pretty good nice size net on the bank. If one of us get into a nice fish, someone will grab the net. The first year we used it my friends dad and his friend were making fun of the size of the net. We landed a bunch of big fish with it without fighting the fish to death. After we landed a bunch of fish for them with it the jokes stopped!!!!!!LOL

I have always been a "beacher" too, hate carrying a net, but lost a few over on the east "mile" creeks last year due to all the leaves built up..so I went on a mission to find a net. Bought a frabill collapsable net and it has worked very well, telescopic helps too. so far no complaints; used it on several trips on elk creek this season

i use a landing hand. . . easy to use, weighs nothing, gives you a nice grip on a steelhead.

hope to use it often this coming weekend!

http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/RogueAngler/prodinfo.asp?number=28AB1088

My first net was that cabelas net. It broke after a few trips. I got a the large rubber coated net available at ****'s sporting goods made by frabill. runs about 15-20 dollars. It is perfect......large enough for 30" fish, small enough to carry all day, clip to attach to you D-loop., and netting that doesn't catch on those double nymphing rigs.

I picked up that frabill net from ****'s in Hagerstown, MD on sale for $7.99 about two months ago. I bought it with the intent to use it on steelhead, but I've been using it on trout ever since. The rubber mesh is easy on the fish and the black finish does not throw a glare. I did have to alter the elastic rope because I was tripping over it. My favorite thing about it is that you can let a 18inch trout swim freely in the net while you hold the top part of the net out of the water. It make picking up the fish a lot easier and I believe it releaves the stress on the fish. Your flies do not get stuck in the rubber either.

Hey Acristic:
Were you fishing on Elk by Girard Boro park on the 1st Saturday of November? If so, I think I may have been the guy that helped you net your steelie. If this sounds about right, PM me because I believe I have a pic of you with your fish.

Curtrein,

Did he look anything like this French Dude?

Back