Steelhead Landing Net

DrunkenBear

DrunkenBear

Can i get some recommendations for a portable, strong landing net for wading on the Salmon River in Pulaski?

I had the same problem when I went up there last October for the first time. I brought my bass net and it was not big enough for the salmon. One gent that I helped out with his netting of a fish (with his net) provided me with a great lesson. He had me downstream of the salmon and he turned it quickly and let it slide into the net. When I returned about 3 weeks later, I had a much larger net but it was more trouble to carry around - especially when I was not getting any hits. Another thing that I have to learn is how to tire the fish out and not use a net at all.

****'s Sporting/Cabela's/ Bass Pro shops all have good nets available - you want something with a large opening if your fishing for Salmon or Steelheads. The net has to be strong - unfortunately that normally means the net will have a bit of weight to it. :-o Leave it at the river bank until you need it.

I got a Frabil folding net from my local Gander Mtn for a solo trip up to fish the Lake Ontario tribs this past fall. The net is plenty big for a king salmon and it can be carried much easier than a non-folding net.

link

Thanks for the input. I am particularly interested in the down steam netting technique you mentioned. Guess i'll have to buy a collapsible net and get myself into some cold water to give it a try.

Thanks for the link to the Frabil net. Handle looks a little skimpy - have you had a chance to land a big one in it yet?

That's about a 9 pound steelhead and an 11 pound brown. I didn't land a king on that trip, but I think the net would be OK up 20 pounds or so. The handle will extend to about 4 feet and the handle is pretty sturdy. The mesh of the net is deep enough that you shouldn't need to muscle a fish with the frame of the folding part of the net. Just guide the fish into the bag and lift.

That day I had 5 salmon on and 5 came off. If only I had a bigger net (you've heard that before) - it may not have been steaks for sure that night. Trying to tire them out before they tire me out was the challenge = for I seem to get more enjoyment the longer I battle a fish. I went home empty handed but not disappointed.

Here's the net I use on the Lake Ontario tribs for trout. I have a strong magnet setup and just carry it on my back just like the small trout nets. I made one simple change on the handle so it sticks up slightly higher than my head and it works great. I have even netted steelies my my self while standing in the middle of the river in waist high water. I paid around $90 for mine and it's well worth it. http://www.cabelas.com/landing-nets-seines-frabill-power-stow-landing-nets-2.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03143577&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=D62CF124-B729-E011-8E88-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=19135905911&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=43641097511&gclid=CMex-7Pal7UCFedxOgodmQYAUA

Between what you and Albatross said, it looks like I'll try pack'in a Frabil. Now all i have to do is catch one of those steelies! Thanks to you both. DB

I just beach em like you would for saltwater fish..

I think I'll buy a decent magnet and have it mounted to the back of my vest in order to carry a net and keep my hands free.

DrunkenBear; here's one for sale that would work and its about 1/2 price. go to huntingpa.com and look under things for sale, fishing stuff. it's almost the same as the one I use.

I have the frabill collapsible net and the first time I landed a steelhead with it, it collapsed and out went the fish. I bought a cheap aluminum one with a telescoping handle from wal-mart for my pulaski trip and it was plenty strong for king salmon. (too bad I was only netting other peoples fish, I couldn't land one to save my life) I put a carabiner on it and some duct tape at the grip to keep the handle from falling off. (the handle kept slipping out of the track, I lost it in a field of weeds and it took about 10 minutes with headlamps to find it in the dark.) With it carabinered to my back I could barely tell I was carrying it. It worked great for me.

Back