Steelhead Jam November 19th - 20th

Yeah, long way away and I'm still iffy. Aside from hunting seasons (really not a concern of mine anymore), holidays and moving back to South Carolina (we're snowbirds these days), it's just a long ways off. I am far more invested in fly fishing these days and while I've caught a few steelhead over the years, I really would like to learn how to get much better at it. I presume just spending more time doing it would accomplish that to some degree, but being around other like-minded people who already have a great deal of experience has to be a good thing.

A Steelhead jam is tough because it's SO weather/flow dependent. If water is high, you can maybe find a stream in a day that is down enough to fish. But low and clear is usually everywhere and it sux.
Ding! A steelie Jam certainly can be a good time, but locking it in really is a crap shoot. Just make sure you have a "Plan B" in case the waters are as stated above. The latter is certainly better than the former, but both can be challenging. As stated, Jams can be a bit tricky to plan and get people to commit to, so if you go in with limited expectations, good conditions and fishing can be a real bonus. The spring Jam is one of the few that generally comes with favorable conditions (save the occasional spring monsoons).

Ding! A steelie Jam certainly can be a good time, but locking it in really is a crap shoot. Just make sure you have a "Plan B" in case the waters are as stated above. The latter is certainly better than the former, but both can be challenging. As stated, Jams can be a bit tricky to plan and get people to commit to, so if you go in with limited expectations, good conditions and fishing can be a real bonus. The spring Jam is one of the few that generally comes with favorable conditions (save the occasional spring monsoons).
Plan B, drink.

I will try to make it up the Saturday morning if there is a meeting spot. Typically don't spend the night there as I just fish for the day.

Just a fyi:
I won’t be going up until that Friday night now due to unforeseen complications for anyone who planned on getting up there early.

Sadly I will be already fishing in Erie from Nov 3-6. I wouldn't be opposed to one of the fine gentlemen here wanting to hop in and fish with me then. This is my first steelhead trip.

I need a final count of who all is attending. I have the cabin and will no longer be hauling my camper up so the camper spot I had reserved is now open. If you are coming and plan to stay in the cabin with me and whoever else shows up, I have it reserved for Thursday night- Sunday morning.

Please respond if you plan on sharing the cabin!

Ok fellas,
If anyone plans on staying in the cabin I need to know because it looks like there will be 0 turnout and if so I may bring my family up to enjoy the cabin while I fish. If you don’t respond to this email by Wednesday 11/16/22, I will assume no one is coming/ staying in the cabin and have my family there.

Due to 0 expected turnout and crappy weather, the steelhead jam is cancelled.

I am sitting here watching the news and was going to let you know that they are getting hammered with snow right now, but apparently you saw that. I live just south of the primary snow belt, and it just started snowing here.

Back