Steelhead Jam November 19th - 20th

Joe_M

Joe_M

Anyone interested in doing a steelhead jam again? I’m thinking sometime in November and I’m going to try and set something up with the KOA in Mckean.

Please let me know if you are interested and Feel free to leave suggestions and input/ ideas. Once we get things ironed out we can move this post to the meetups forum.

Last edited:
It's a good idea and its been awhile.
I attended steel jams in 2009 and 2010 and I would like to attend this event.

I might be interested if there are less visited steelie streams in the area. I retired a couple of years ago and find myself fly fishing more (and wanting to fly fish more). I've caught a few steelhead over the years, but I'd really like to learn and get good at it, BUT, I don't care for the circus atmosphere that surrounds some/most of the streams.

I might be interested if there are less visited steelie streams in the area. I retired a couple of years ago and find myself fly fishing more (and wanting to fly fish more). I've caught a few steelhead over the years, but I'd really like to learn and get good at it, BUT, I don't care for the circus atmosphere that surrounds some/most of the streams.
The mile streams seem to get less traffic. I usually fish elk. Walnut is always a cluster.

So, we have 4 people interested. If anyone else would be interested I need time to set up a date and get a campground willing to host us/ have availability.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, PLEASE COMMENT SO WE CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

I'd like to but it is doubtful. If I do make it up there, it will likely be for only a couple hours.

yes i would like to attend elk creek has a lot of less pressured access if you hike alittle,, the steelhead should be fairly spread out by the time this event takes place. from the mudhole all the way to where lamson run enters upstream of mckean

I will call around today to see what campgrounds have availability in the area.

Thinking a November weekend would be best. Date depends on cabin availability. I have room for 1 maybe 2 in my travel trailer if anyone is interested but it’ll be a little tight with 3 people.

You guys ought to try Conneaut Creek. Not nearly as much pressure. Plus the Ohio liscence isn't as much as NY (if memory serves). A Steelhead jam is tough because it's SO weather/flow dependent. If water is high, you can maybe find a stream in a day that is down enough to fish. But low and clear is usually everywhere and it sux. Best of luck! I'll be looking to see when it is so that I WON'T be out when the JAM is!

You guys ought to try Conneaut Creek. Not nearly as much pressure. Plus the Ohio liscence isn't as much as NY (if memory serves). A Steelhead jam is tough because it's SO weather/flow dependent. If water is high, you can maybe find a stream in a day that is down enough to fish. But low and clear is usually everywhere and it sux. Best of luck! I'll be looking to see when it is so that I WON'T be out when the JAM is!
Your support is greatly appreciated

PLEASE COMMENT WHICH OPTION YOU LIKE BEST! Majority rules.

As for the date, it seems November 17-20 is the only available.

We have 2 choices for campgrounds; folly’s end or uncle johns.

Folly’s has cabins available for $42/ 2 people a night and $5/ each additional person per night and trailer spots with elec only.

Uncle John’s has a bunk house (large cabin) with a pavilion as part of it outside. It holds 12 people. $120/ 4 people a night plus $20 each additional person per night and they also have trailer spots available with elec only.

Both campgrounds are willing to host us and generously gave me a 1 week hold on the cabins and 1 trailer spot until we figure things out. If we need more, just call.

I will be staying in a camper and have room for 2 others.

I WILL NOT BE BOOKING THE CABINS FOR YOU! This is only informative and you will need to call and book once we decide where we want to go. Just use my name (Joe Manderino) and let them know I have a hold on the cabins and would like to book it in your own name.

I'd like to come but am very iffy. It is a kid free weekend, but the next weekend is deer season, so I may have to switch kid weekends with the ex. Unless something weird goes down, I could probably do this or hunt, but not both. That'd be an easy decision, sorry. Call me doubtful as of now.

Personally I like the location of Folly's better than Uncle John's, and it's a solid fly shop to boot. Uncle John's is down by the zoo at the mouth, while you can do some walking from Folly's to escape crowds. Folly's is also a hop and a skip from I-90 to get to other streams quickly.

That's just my 2 cents, and since I'm probably not making it, worth even less!

Thanks for looking into this Joe. I've marked the weekend of the 19-20th on my calendar.

I'm interested in participating, but I think, like many folks, it's too far ahead for me to confirm plans at this point. Sometimes a planned jam doesn't get many takers until the last minute. Sometimes few show up at all (I planned a saltwater jam some years ago that included dinner reservations and I was the only one who showed up for dinner).

As I always tell folks thinking about planning a jam. . . just pick the time and place and go with it. No date or place will satisfy everyone.

Last edited:
Thanks for looking into this Joe. I've marked the weekend of the 19-20th on my calendar.

I'm interested in participating, but I think, like many folks, it's too far ahead for me to confirm plans at this point. Sometimes a planned jam doesn't get many takers until the last minute. Sometimes few show up at all (I planned a saltwater jam some years ago that included dinner reservations and I was the only one who showed up for dinner).

As I always tell folks thinking about planning a jam. . . just pick the time and place and go with it. No date or place with satisfy everyone.
Thank you, can we get this thread moved to the events/meetups forum?

The steelhead jam will be the weekend of November 19-20th at folly’s end campground. Call and make reservations soon before it books up if you wish to stay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back